Friday, April 29, 2005

Techno-geeks gone wild.

We might have reached the stage where strapping media players to our bodies has gone overboard. Now, I get the iPod thing. I like to bop, er, headbang or something, to Green Day and Garbage during my walk to school, and personally I'm getting way into the podcast thing. I even kind of get the portable DVD player, if you have a lot of disposable income and get stuck in some mind-numbingly pointless activity, like camping or a showing of the newest Adam Sandler romantic-comedy.

But today, the line has been crossed. Way crossed. Like, I should put a "kick me" sign on your back, crossed. I got to the bottom of the escalator at the Tenleytown metro and was walking to the turnstile, when I looked over to the guy at my right. He was wearing headphones, not attached to an mp3 player, but plugged into a widescreen laptop in his hands that was - I kid you not - playing an episode of Family Guy. Is this guy kidding me?

The fact some kid got stabbed three blocks from my house for his iPod last week, makes me think that walking around with a two-grand-laptop in your hands, totally oblivious to everything around you, is not a great idea. Granted, some might say Peter Griffin and his mad-cap, beer-induced antics are be worth a stab in the gut, but why risk it?

2 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, April 30, 2005, Anonymous Rebecca said...

Semi-on topic. A few days ago, I saw a newscrew in an underground T station (similar to your "metro" stations). A crazy guy asked them what they were doing there, and the reporter dude said an ipod had been stolen on the T. I did not realize this was big news.

So I see them filming some kid that has a white wire leading from his pocket to his ears. They hid behind a pillar so the kid would not notice them. Then they walk up to him and start interviewing him, apparently asking something about his stupid ipod. I wanted to take mine out and show it to them so they would interview me too. Anyway, I was just jealous. I wanted to be on TV.

 
At 6:53 PM, April 30, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Great, now I'm going to freak out that there are news cameras hiding behind pillars just to film me and my iPod.

Also, what the hell are you doing up at 6:45am?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares