Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Clash of the colors

I promised a picture of my hideous gown:

My hideous gown

I picked it up on Saturday with my mom and grandma. They wanted me to try it on, partly just to see how the hood thing worked. We were all joking around, but then my grandma just started laughing so hard and said, "It's just so...ugly! I'm sorry!!" Ha! My mom and I just about died. Being my grandma, she apologized for the next two days for saying it, even though we kept telling her she was completly right. The red on purple on blue doesn't really do it for me. Not to mention the ugly AU logo on the front and, lastly, the tassle, which for some unknown reason is gray. But hey, I got to keep it! Seventy-five dollars and all I have now is an ugly tassle. And my $120,000 receipt, also known as a big paper degree someone will lovingly frame for another $189.

Here's the shindig:
AU Graduation
I think this is the part where they hooded Senator Sarbanes. He must be so proud. He thanked us appropriately by droning on about Enron for about twenty minutes. I'm not sure what it had to do with graduation or growing up or moving on. But I know now that reporting profits 20% higher every single quarter is, you know, wrong. Lesson learned. At any rate, it gave me time to read through the graduation program and notice that they took the liberty of denoting every student who gave to the class gift. Wtf? I may have written before about how much I hate AU and would never give up my hard loaned money to them. I think my mom thought I was being a little facetious until she noticed that almost no one donated. Ha. I mean, they couldn't have put stars next to students who were on law review, or were on our high-powered moot court team, or the cum laudes or, like, anything that would actually earn a notation? Figures.

But, the biggest disappointment of the day was that my cute new Kenneth Cole shoes that I paid a pretty penny for killed my feet.
My new shoes.
Ah, the things we'll do for fashion. I'm sure they'll be fine as long as I don't stand around for hours in them.

The rest of the weekend was much better. We hit up all the memorials, including the WWII, which I'd never seen. It's quite a sight, especially at night. On Sunday night I had some great trout at Firefly in Dupont, which I recommend. Actually, what was really nice was spending time with my mom and grandma together. After dinner on Sunday we sat on a bench in the circle and just talked for a few hours until it got dark and the bums started staring as they walked by. It's times like these I learn my grandma's friends called her Babs in high school. Well, their plane just landed at LAX. I called my grandpa a few hours ago to say hello. He's been inventing new ways to make potatos for himself this week, ha, while devouring the meatloaf he requested from my grandma before she left. Apparently there are 8mm movies of my mother's childhood they're going to dig up so we can watch and laugh when I visit in July. Break out the popcorn!

11 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, May 25, 2005, Blogger Moral Turpitude said...

The shoes really are cute. I'll bet Sarbanes' shoes weren't that cute. Everyone knows that Oxley is the fashionable half of the duo.

 
At 11:43 PM, May 25, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Congrats! Was the hood really red white and blue?

 
At 10:10 AM, May 26, 2005, Blogger Toxic Ned said...

Wow, I thought those looked familiar. My younger brother graduated from AU that day too. He's a KOGOD boy.

 
At 1:19 PM, May 26, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

gg: yup, red, white and blue (see the top picture). it is *the* american university after all. quick, someone wave a flag.

toxic: i think they actually graduated on a different day, but they use the same set-up for everyone. did you notice the pool when you walk in? they closed it down for the other ceremonies, but left it open for business during ours, so the audience could check out the kids in their skivvies while we walked. classy.

 
At 12:40 PM, May 27, 2005, Blogger Toxic Ned said...

Yup, saw the pool. Had seen it last time I was there, which was two years ago. No kiddies were making with the splish-splash, so there was no entertainment for us at all.

 
At 12:42 PM, May 27, 2005, Blogger Toxic Ned said...

Yup, saw the pool. Had seen it last time I was there, which was two years ago. No kiddies were making with the splish-splash, so there was no entertainment for us at all.

 
At 10:53 PM, May 28, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

heather- feel you on the ugliness of the robe. and we paid so much for it!!

i took a bunch of tassles at the end when we turned in our cap/gown. it was sweet satisfaction.

 
At 1:22 AM, May 29, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

chai - did you go to AU or another DC school with ugly robes?

 
At 8:21 PM, May 29, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

went to AU, WCL. didn't you love the commencement speech by sarbanes?? i don't know, it was so...inspirational? i felt like running out of the auditorium to go do something with my life. tears of sadness, joy, and entusiasm corsed my veins. pardon me while I wipe my mouth dripping with sarcasm.

and my shoes killed too. my last name is not until the end of the alphabet, so I stood up, clapped, and patiently waited on sticks that made me 3 inches taller. ugh.

anyway, it's over. and now i can wear reefs to barbri classes, sharing my blisters with everyone. lovely. =)

 
At 1:20 AM, May 30, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

yeah, i couldn't believe they made is stand the whole time. in college we just stood row by row. at least i'm in the middle of the alphabet, i think my toes would have fallen off waiting while 600 other names got called. at least jaffe was a lot more quick on the draw than the guy who did the LLMs - he had me worried we were going to be there until midnight.

 
At 12:16 AM, October 02, 2005, Blogger jon said...

I am looking everywhere for skate shoes and skate shoes, while doing so I somehow stumbled onto your skate shoes blog. I am happy to say I learned something and will look into this further...

Thanks for the great posts...

jon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares