Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Coffee and Salad

After my Sales exam tomorrow, I will be totally done with law school forever. Forever. Assuming I didn't just bomb one of those exams, but let's hope for the best. I just threw my sleep pattern way off, since I took a late nap yesterday. Of course, I couldn't go back to sleep at a decent hour, nevertheless, I woke up suddenly at 7am. Wtf? I stayed in bed til around 9:30, staring at the ceiling and listening to the radio, refusing to get up and study for sales. I figured, at that hour, I needed coffee, and this:
Maxwell Crap
is the worst coffee ever. I've had coffee from gas stations that tasted better. I know, it's cheap coffee, but last time I tried the Maxwell House "French Roast," it wasn't half bad. This stuff tastes like reheated coffee that has been sitting in a metal pot for 72 hours. And for some reason, the grounds are leaking through the filter, so I have to lay 2-3 of them in there to catch the floaters.

On the bright side, I've created a salad to end all salads. Something you have to know about me is that I'm a meat and potatos (potatoes?) girl. It took me a good two -and-a-half decades to convince myself that 1) plain water is a drink and 2) ice cream is not a meal. Okay, I still think ice cream is a meal, but I've cut back. The most difficult thing has been convincing myself that salad is a meal. First, I hate lettuce. I have to watch my Sandwich Artist(tm) at subway or quiznos like a hawk so he doesn't reach for the shredded lettuce, because he always will, even though I told him loudly "NO lettuce please!" Iceberg lettuce is some freak thing with Americans that I will never understand. No where else in the world would people be crazy about a vegetable with absolutely no nutriants and no taste. It's also the number one source of food-poisoning in fast-food restaurants. I mean, besides human fingers. Or so I've heard. When I was in Chile, I'd order a avacado side salad. You know what I'd get? A sliced avacado on a plate! Yum! Actually, it's better if you order the avacado, tomato, and palmito salad, for a little variety and big taste. Anyway, the point is: Lettuce sucks.

Long story short, I've created a salad that's like Budweiser: Great taste, no fillers. Or is that Hebrew National Hot Dogs? The picture doesn't do it justice, but here's what it looks like:
Best damn salad
There's actually quite a bit of spinach in there, but it's hiding under all the yummy vegetables.

The ingrediants:
1 bag spinach
1-2 large tomatos
1 medium pepper (your color choice)
1 cucumber
1 can hearts of palm
1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can garbanzo beans (same)

Mix with one of Ken's vinegrette dressings; this one has balsamic vinegrette on it. It's even better with some deli turkey on top. You've got your iron, protein, anti-oxidents and a lot of other things that I'm sure are good for you. It's also actually filling. It's really the kidney beans that make the salad, I think. Here are three tips:

1) Eat the tomatos and hearts of palm in the same forkful.
2) Do NOT eat the hearts of palm with either of the beans. They don't mix well, I just happen to like them both and I end up eating most of it separately anyway.
3) Keep the spinach separate from the veggies until you're ready to eat it.

It's also a great money-saver, since it makes a HUGE salad with about 6-8 servings, for about $10. So, there you go. Eat at will.

1 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, May 12, 2005, Anonymous Rebecca said...

Yum. I just made this, and I can vouch for its deliciousity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares