Monday, June 13, 2005

I need a job.

Lately I've been so wrapped up in this "preparing for the fake world of the Bar" thing that I forget I could very well be homeless in three months. I just looked at my school's career services listing, and it was as useless as ever. 99% of the postings are always for lawyers with 3-5 years of experience, which they helpfully mark as "Alumni" (who am I then?). Why are they so concerned with finding jobs for lawyers who already have jobs? Shouldn't they be more concerned with how it will affect their sacred US News ranking when they come around in 9 months and I tell them I'm still unemployed and AU can suck me? Even the few jobs that are listed are typically 1) in Cambodia or 2) for some type of law practice that would make me prefer to jab a stick in my eye. As to the second point, when does the time come when I have to suck it up and apply for crap jobs I'll hate, just because I need a job?

There are a few other places I've been looking, but most of those sites aren't exclusively for lawyers, and that makes it hard to know if I'm qualified or super over-qualified. Sometimes I wonder if I should just break out the phone book and start mass mailing law firms around town.

Anyway, I'm not totally freaking yet, especially since I'm almost two full days behind the paced schedule, which makes me feel I have more pressing things to worry about.

3 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, June 13, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

I wouldn't stress out about it, you WILL get a job. If you want to stay in DC, I would suggest joining a couple of listservs (search on yahoo), send your resume to heads of Bar Associations (Women's Bar Association), and keep looking for jobs. I think the key, especially in DC, is networking. At least that is my take on it.

BUT, pass the bar. Don't worry about that (I know, easier to say than do), but if can tell yourself that 1) you will be marketable if you have a CA bar under your belt and 2) you will never have to study again, then all your energy, stress, and love should go towards this thing.

You WILL get a job. You NEED to pass. =)

 
At 1:02 PM, June 13, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

Darling. I am in the same boat. I have no job. I am taking a bar exam that's hard as shit. But you know what? One thing at a time. Just think: in September, when everyone's starting their lame-o clerkships and associateships, you can still be enjoying the remnants of summer. I am planning on being DC after the bar; we can chill if you wanna. Then hopefully I will travel to CA and then go to Egypt to visit family, and if I don't pass, I don't know if I'm coming back!

 
At 7:10 PM, June 13, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Egypt sounds nice, can I come, too?

I'm more or less taking one thing at a time, which is why I occasionally freak about the job thing, cause I don't think about the fact I don't have one for weeks at a time, ha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares