Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I'm so stressed I'm __________!

It's the law students favorite pasttime. God knows I played it enough. Like, this week even. And it seems we've reached the point in the summer where all the bar studiers start to freak out. I don't know, I'm a little concerned that maybe I'm not stressing out as much as I need to be. My friends are all breaking out and getting fat and spending 8 hours a day in the library on top of class.

Disclaimer: I may live to regret these words.

But, doesn't it all seem like a little much? After some experience with the essays and a short look at the performance exam, I think the lecturers are right when they say it's actually better to have a cursory knowledge of everything, than know absolutely everything in depth. My friend picked up the CMR today and said, "There is NO WAY I can learn everything in here." And she's right, it's silly. I'm sure I'm going to forget things on the exam, but I think that will happen whether I'm studying 10 hours a day or 4. I think it's more important that I stay calm and be organized. Including when I'm studying. I do feel guilty when I waste part of an evening, but, hey, it's wasted, all I can do is move on and work tomorrow.

If there's one thing I learned in law school, it's that everyone (even me) loves to give advice about how they study, if they made outlines or flashcards or ran 10 miles everyday or went to office hours every week. And it takes most of your first year to realize you shouldn't be listening to anyone but yourself. I know, for me, stressing out makes me unable to retain as well. Studying in the morning is useless and flashcards are great. For me. Not for you. Well, maybe for you, but not because you read that I was doing it.

I say this because a lot of my blog and real-life friends seem to be at the aforementioned "freak out" stage. Of course, it's certainly possible I will fail the bar, so my advice is to be taken with a grain of salt, but I have this to say: There's no reason to sacrifice your sanity for this exam. I may have started slacking on the gym, I've been eating way too much junk food and I keep forgetting to call my friends back, but I wash my face everyday, my clothes are generally clean, I watch an hour of tv everyday, and I talk to someone who's not taking the bar at least 4-6 days a week. Call your mom. Email your old work-buddy. If you can't remember the four kinds of slander per se, don't worry, because the girl who wouldn't SHUT up at the table next to me today didn't even know what slander per se was. You can do this and you don't have to know all the answers.

That's all. Good luck everyone. And take a break.

P.S. I'm watching Law and Order, and let's be thankful we aren't in Canada. The lawyers have to wear funny costumes.

8 Comments:

At 4:24 AM, June 29, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

Ah, girl, I'm praying a little bit of that will rub off on me.

 
At 9:16 AM, June 29, 2005, Anonymous shell said...

You go and keep them sane, Heather! W-o-o-t!

 
At 11:01 AM, June 29, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

right on heather.

sometimes i feel that i freak out too little. when i see other people just freak, it makes me wonder why i'm not. this was my problem in law school. it does take awhile to remember that you have gone this far doing whatever to make you successful, so why do you listen? but i do. and sometimes become a sheep and follow.

however, when i read posts like this, i remember the game- Listen to yourself and better your own weaknesses/strengths..

 
At 1:45 PM, June 29, 2005, Blogger jm said...

I find that directing my freak outs at my husband keeps me from being overly-obsessed about the Bar.

"You didn't take out the garbage next to the washer and dryer? You fool! That's the key to my sanity, and now you're driving me over the edge!"

 
At 3:45 PM, June 29, 2005, Anonymous Rebecca said...

I have been freaking out to fit in. I have to stop that.

 
At 7:17 PM, June 29, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

I'm a freaker-outter by nature, unfortunately.

 
At 8:15 PM, June 29, 2005, Blogger maisnon said...

I've been "one step removed" from freaking out - i.e. I'm kinda anxious that I'm *NOT* freaking out. But, I've decided that it's all good - it's not that I don't understand how important it all is, it's just that freaking never really improved by ability to retain or learn.

 
At 2:15 AM, June 30, 2005, Anonymous eve said...

I vacillate back and forth between freak-out and zen, ya know. Sometimes I think the whole weight of the world rides on this thing, and other times I'm like, eh, I'll just take it again. I'm taking the healthy parts of both and mashing them all together into a paste.

BUT I have had to let go of the notion that I could possibly continue with a diet during this time. Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent, not at this juncture... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares