Saturday, June 25, 2005

My books, in pictures.

Earlier this week I was tagged by Chai for a little 'what do you read' questionaire. I am a bona-fide book lover and secretly love to show off my books, even if I don't really have anything unusual or expensive. First, the questions; then, the pictures.

Number of books I own:
Over 200, though it's been awhile since I counted. I acquire books everywhere and I've self-banned myself from the bookstores in the neighborhood because I still own a ton I haven't had a chance to read yet. I also have another 50 or so at my mom's house.

Last book I bought:
Strangely, Just the Facts About Washington, D.C., by Alfred Kennedy. I got it when my family was in town for graduation, at the Arlington Cemetary gift shop. We had taken a few tours and I realized how little I know about this town, and this book has got a bunch of neat facts in it. Plus, it's autographed, though I have no clue who Al Kennedy is - and I'm pretty sure he's not, like, "a Kennedy."

Last book I read:
The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown. I mentioned to my grandmother that I must have been the only person on earth who hadn't read it, so she sent it for my birthday.

Five books that left a lasting impression:

1. Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis. I loved these books and read them over and over as a kid. Funnily enough, I can't stand this Harry Potter craze, but freaked out when I saw a preview for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe the other day.

2. Contact and Cosmos, by Carl Sagan. After seeing the movie Contact, I stopped by the bookstore to introduce myself to Carl. I wanted to be an astronomer for a long time, and he creates the most incredible - and realistic - stories about how we might one day find life elsewhere. Cosmos, which is non-fiction, is a fascinating look at intersection of biology, anthropology, and astronomy. A must read. Unfortunately, I seemed to have loaned it out to a mystery friend.

3. Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson. I couldn't really tell you why this book had an impression on me, but this haunting story stayed with me for years. In fact, I went on a crazy hunt for it a few years ago, because I could vividly remember reading it, but couldn't remember the title for the life of me. An extensive google search solved that problem.

4. 500 Children's Bible Stories. Someone gave this to me as a child, probably trying to put the fear of god in me at a young age. I actually loved the book and read it cover to cover (it's huge), but it also began my eventual turn to agnosticism. The stories were fascinating, but you'll have a hard time convincing me they were non-fiction, and many of them aren't even that moral. Religion and questions of god have continued to fascinate me, though I don't think that was the intended result of the Children's Bible. :)

5. No Opportunity Wasted, by Phil Keoghan. I know, a little cheesy, but I read it last semester in the midst of a panicky "what am I doing with my life?!" moment, so it was kind of inspiring. It made me remember that I can enjoy life no matter what stupid job I may have, not to mention, how essential it is to see the world and get out of your safe bubble.

Honorable Mentions:
Time's Arrow, by Martin Amis
Waiting for Godot, by Samuel Beckett
The Thorn Birds, by Colleen McCullough
The Gettysburg Address, by Abraham Lincoln

Now for the tour!

This is my main bookshelf. Even empty it weighs like 500 pounds. The bottom shelf are photo albums and law school books I couldn't sell back. Yes, I own a lot of astronomy textbooks, don't ask. As you can see, I ran out of room a long time ago. See that old yellow photo? That's my paternal grandmother and my virtual twin. We look so similar it's down right wierd, except she was 6" and I'm a paltry 5'9".
Bookcase

One of the shelves on my wall. I'm extremely proud because I hung them myself and they're lined up correctly. The book on the bottom is a chemistry textbook writin by Linus Pauling. It's cool if you're a dork like me.
Bookshelf

Second bookshelf. The second book down is a first edition of Edwin Hubble's The Realm of the Nebula that my mom gave me a few years ago. The top book is The Origin of Species in Spanish, which I bought in Chile. That sexy Canon was my first real camera.
Bookshelf

I love this shelf, it's very romantic-looking, I mean, except for the actual shelf, which is part of the ugliest book case I've ever seen. It's going in the trash the minute I start packing to move. These are many of the books I've picked up around the world, god knows why, because I can speak maybe a little spanish on a good day. Left to right, that's an Oxford Unabridged acting as a bookend, then what I can only presume is a Koran in Arabic, a 150 year old book of Hoyle's cardgame rules that Rebecca gave me, a Bible in Dutch and Latin, Crime and Punishment in French, and Don Quixote in German.
Hoyle's New Home

With no room on my bookshelf, the books I have waiting to be read now queue up on my breakfast bar.
Waiting in line

And this is what I'm currently reading. Sigh.
Bar/Bri library

P.S. I forgot you're supposed to tag people. Rebecca, if she's got time to update her book blog would be perfect for this, and Stag - you're it. And Quinn and Robert, though I doubt either of them will have read this far. :)

6 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, June 26, 2005, Anonymous Rebecca said...

Cool! (except for the bar/bri books part)

I am totally going to do this when I get the chance.

 
At 9:30 PM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

I do not have a good enough memory for all of that. Wow.

 
At 10:21 PM, June 26, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

F - Enough memory for all of what?

R - Great! Can't wait to read it. :)

 
At 12:15 AM, June 27, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

amazing Heather! you have such a collection of books and stories to share w/dem books.

i'm glad you got tagged. ;)

 
At 2:32 PM, June 27, 2005, Blogger CM said...

I keep meaning to reread Bridge to Terabithia. I remember it having a profound impact on me as a kid, but all I remember now is the ending. I actually bought a used copy for a quarter months ago, but keep forgetting to read it. Maybe tonight.

 
At 12:25 AM, October 02, 2005, Blogger jon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares