Monday, June 13, 2005

My eyes hurt.

Well, that was a nice little nightmare I totally expect from a company I just paid nearly three-grand to learn me some law. They started playing the evidence video, but the sound was so low we could barely hear. The bar/bri boys cranked it, but it seemed to be poor recording quality than a poor GW speaker system. The best part was when his voice actually went so low there was no sound and many of us, including me, started to laugh at the absurdity of it, and a few people loudly "SHHHUSH!"ed us. Hahaha. RELAX people. Deep breaths. He was still in his introduction, for christ's sakes.

Since they weren't able to fix the sound, they put on the audio cd. Seriously. We sat in that room staring at the walls for nearly FIVE HOURS. Do you know how hard it is to learn when you can't focus on anything? Brutal!

By the way - I totally got a reply from the OCS people! Unfortunately, he was quite nice in explaining that there were few postings for recent grads because jobs are incredibly scarce and then went on to explain why they were so scarce. hahaha. Boy, do I feel better now! He even said many firms were waiting until late fall because they won't hire until we've passed the bar, which is totally uncool. I get why, but there's no way I can be unemployed until November. Maybe I'll take my illustrious J.D. and go wait some more tables. Ugh.

4 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, June 13, 2005, Blogger Snubligent said...

I find your posts frightening and intriguing.

I better get me a job before that soul crushing first loan payment comes due. The fact that your school ranks much higher than mine is very discouraging. Any advice for 2L OCI?

 
At 10:36 PM, June 13, 2005, Blogger maisnon said...

My advice for any 2L - don't depend too much on your career dev office. They are only indirectly interested in getting you a job, whereas you are 100% devoted. Go in there and talk to them, get some ideas, but then get out there and look yourself. Network. Talk to lawyers you know, etc. Tell everyone you know what you're looking for. (I make it sound like asking to be set up on blind dates...but maybe it kinda is like that.)

 
At 12:10 AM, June 14, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

"frightening and intriguing"? maybe that should be my new tag line. :)

don't be too frightened; if there's anything i've learned in life, it's that things usually work out in the end. you also probably shouldn't take what i say on this blog too seriously, because 1) i'm a cynical person by nature and 2) unlike most people, i kind of regret going to law school, because i was one of those naive people who was fooled into believing "you can do anything with your law degree!" which is a total lie. you can be a lawyer with your law degree, otherwise you can file your chapter seven here.

i agree with maisnon about OCS, especially because, even if you do go in, they'll usually tell you to "network network network" anyway. i went to every single lunch-hour "discussion" on getting a job and that's what they all boiled down to.

and i gotta say, that's totally unfair to those of us who aren't socialites. aren't there any jobs out there for people who'd rather read a book alone at home than go to the meet and greet at the hawk and dove? c'mon.

lastly, i'll just say, don't be incredibly picky when it comes to getting a job right out of school. you kind of just want to get one and think about the "future" once you have a year of experience under your belt. i think part of my problem is that i stuck up my nose to a lot of big firm jobs during fall recruitment, and probably screwed myself out of a lot of opportunities.

could this post be any longer?

 
At 1:13 PM, June 14, 2005, Blogger jm said...

I was pretty much resigned to the fact that I would still be unemployed after the bar - I worked for the state for two summers, but state wages do not equal student loan payments + food. And, frankly, I like eating.

Against all my better judgment, I applied one place during OCI as a 3L, and got hired. Even after making my contribution to their US News numbers, they still don't know who I am. I get an email about twice weekly to "upload your resume into our new spiffy system that eats all our time so that we don't actually have to talk to actual employers..." Gack. At this point I'd rather get junk mail about penile enhancers and daily astrology offers.

Ok, I just typed in a multi-paragraph rant about something other than the bar. That's scary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares