Sunday, June 12, 2005

PMBR Heaven (er...hell?)

Sometimes I get the feeling that I can pass the bar as long as I just keep buying stuff to study for it (i.e. it's the "accumulation of stuff" and not the "using it" that matters). I try not to give in everytime, but I was pleased when my PMBR cd's came in the mail last week. I got Civ Pro, Evidence, Property, and Corporations. I think maybe I should have opted for Contracts instead of Evidence, but, oh well.

Now that I have my computer back, I spent the evening ripping them to iTunes so I could get them on my iPod (on my iBook, isn't that just too clever?). All was well until I pulled Disc 1 of Evidence from my burner, and the fucking thing cracked halfway across the cd. Luckily, I'd already ripped it, but that pretty much tanks the resale thing for that entire set.

So, now I have 81 suicide-inducing tracks to listen to while I'm on the treadmill, even though I've been warned to keep the exercising as "me time." I usually listen to podcasts anyway, so this won't be much different. Plus, it might keep my mind off the guy with chronic b.o. who keeps getting on the treadmill next to me and then running at 9.0mph so his rapidly moving body can waft the vomiting fragrance around the entire gym.

This is how many flashcards I've made so far.
Flashcard stack - two weeks in.
Is it a lot? It's contracts, torts, and con law, even though I thought at first I wouldn't make any for con law. I know people have said they aren't really using them after the initial creation, but I actually find them great study tools. I can get through a bunch just on the metro ride, and I'll go through them before class starts, since I tend to get there early. I'm a little embarrassed about that question on top of the stack there, since obviously I know the answer now, not to mention the copious typos I kept making. But - free california bar admission to whoever gets the answer right first!

5 Comments:

At 3:58 AM, June 12, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

You write hypos on your flashcards? That's a good idea, but where are you getting the hypos from? I feel like, once you know the answer, don't you memorize it?

I'm afraid of being wrong. So I don't wanna answer the question ;)

 
At 4:50 AM, June 12, 2005, Blogger Snubligent said...

Did you use flash cards in law school as well, or is this just a bar studying technique?

 
At 12:48 PM, June 12, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

fayza - the hypos are the multiple choice questions i get wrong. the one on top is unusually specific, usually i can whittle down the question more. but in contracts i tend to get tripped up a lot by caveats, like in this one, i got caught up in the 'consideration' issue, when it's really a statute of frauds issue. so i write out the question with both the caveat and the 'trick,' to teach myself to look for the real issue. otherwise the question would have said, "Z tells Y orally that he promises to pay X's debt if X fails to pay Y. Is this enforceable?" See how that's not as helpful?

snub - i rarely used flash cards in law school, unless the class was really definition specific, like crim law and property. most law school exams ask about general rules, but the bar seems more about knowing the exact wording of each rule/test, and the qualifications in each, and the flashcards work well for that.

 
At 3:28 PM, June 12, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

Makes sense. I wonder if I'm doing mine wrong. Oh well. It's the eternal question.

 
At 4:44 PM, June 12, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Well, I doubt you can do them wrong. It just depends on what problems you're having with the questions. These just happen to work for me, and even then, I've only really done them like this for contracts. I've noticed the torts and especially the con law multiple choice questions don't lend themselves very well to flashcard writing. But, I also don't get caught up in the tricks as much with those subjects, I usually get those wrong because I didn't know the rule or I read the Q wrong. So, who the hell knows what we're really supposed to be doing, ha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares