Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Salad of Victory

This salad has not actually won anything, but it should. I'm posting it again because a few people have found my recipe online and enjoyed it as much as I have. It's been awhile since I made it, because the bar studying tends to turn me to the ice cream food groups, but it was so satisfying tonight! I'll make a link to this post permanent on the sidebar for anyone who wants to copy down or refer this recipe to someone else. :)

Best damn salad Salad
There's a ton of spinach on the bottom that's hidden by all the goodies. The second bowl is the one I had tonight, with some deli turkey.

The ingredients:
1 bag spinach
1-2 large tomatos
1 medium pepper (your color choice)
1 cucumber
1 can hearts of palm
1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can garbanzo beans (same)

Keep the spinach in its bag until you're ready to make a serving, otherwise it gets soggy if it's in the bowl with the rest of the veggies.

Let me know if you try it!

11 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, June 28, 2005, Blogger Eve said...

What a lovely salad!

 
At 11:45 PM, June 28, 2005, Blogger jm said...

If you are what you eat, I'm looking suspiciously like refined white sugar and white flour. Yuck.

Your salad recipe rocks, by the way. I'm picking up the fixins next time I hit the store.

 
At 12:53 AM, June 29, 2005, Blogger stag said...

Mine looks different. It has more beans. I'll have to take a picture next time.

I actually ate some tonight, but it was the last of what was in the fridge. Now I'm eating almonds. Also, I haven't been separating the spinich. I just put it all in one big bowl. I'll have to try to make mine look more like yours.

 
At 12:59 AM, June 29, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

ha, well, it doesn't really have to look like mine to taste good. and mine actually has a ton of beans, but they always tend to fall to the bottom.

i think actually, the real reason i keep the spinach separate is that i don't have salad tongs, so i use a big metal serving spoon, which doesn't pick up the leaves well. so maybe i should just invest in some tongs and stop telling my constituency to keep it separated. :)

 
At 4:25 AM, June 29, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

That looks deeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious.

 
At 3:42 PM, June 29, 2005, Anonymous Rebecca said...

Since the past couple of weeks have been disgustingly hot, I have been making this salad like every other day so I don't have to turn on the stove. SOOOO yummy. Eric and I got into a tiny fight after he ate all of it while I was gone because I was so looking forward to having it for dinner.

Also - I love a little bit of sliced fresh mozzarella in it. I always find a way to add a little unnecessary fat to an otherwise perfectly healthy dish.

 
At 8:02 PM, June 29, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Mozzarella - brilliant!

 
At 1:50 PM, August 05, 2005, Blogger stag said...

I have now made this salad in three cities! I have another tip to add: Albertson's brand kidney beans have a funny taste. Pay the extra 20 cents for Bush's beans.

 
At 4:11 AM, August 06, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

nice stag! soon my salad will rule over all other salads in the world. then, onto the universe. with the grassroots effort in tact, i'm sure we will succeed.

 
At 5:09 PM, December 28, 2005, Blogger Saucy Lil' Tart said...

I keep promising myself that I'm going to make this and eat it. I think I'll add some feta, too, because I'm a fetaholic.

 
At 9:36 AM, September 10, 2009, Anonymous russ said...

Check out this salad - I grew all of the ingredients!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flight0001/3735503302/in/set-72157602393872892/

All homegrown: lettuce, rosemary, tarragon, dill, borage leaves and flowers, carrots, basil, space basil and cucumbers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares