Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Today's bar/bri experience.

The girl in front of me today (different girl - the other two were in the exact same seats from yesterday, I knew better this time) had with her on the first substantive day of bar/bri: a stack of no less than 75 hand-made contracts flash cards made with two types of pens, two-hole punched and stacked neatly inside a plastic index-card sized 'binder'; and a separate note-pad to take notes that she couldn't fit on the outline she was filling in and highlighting with multiple colors. I have a flash-card binder, too, it's called a rubber band.

There was also a boy who was on the summer abroad program with me after 1L, but he found out he was transferring during the trip, so we hung out the rest of the summer after we got back, but I haven't seen him much since 2L started. I dig him, but he's one of those guys that's too cool for school, so to speak, and rarely has a facial expression. So he stared at me until I saw him, then when I waved, he just kept staring, so I felt like an idiot because he wasn't looking at me - except he was, it was just his way of saying, "come say hi!" Oy. He also has a band and funky glasses, you know, and seems all introspective when I'm talking to him, which just makes me nervous and sound like an idiot. No wonder we were drunk that entire summer. Hmm, I'm making it sound like we were 'together,' but we weren't together that way.

Class wasn't that bad. Epstein is a freak, but keeps your attention. And you can't honestly say the material is that bad when you're literally filling in an outline they give you. But two girls sitting behind me started freaking out to each other as soon as the video ended. "Oh my god, this is so intense!" "I know, how in the world are we supposed to get all this work done! It's crazy!" "Totally, and I totally don't get this stuff, oh my god."

Just like that. Thanks ladies, for making contracts that much more palatable. Which reminds me, I've got 17 questions to go answer.

P.S. In case it's not obvious, I should note that I do my share of the freak law student things, too, but that's not going to stop me from making fun of other people while I'm at it!

5 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger stag said...

That guy in your class sounds like the type I'd fall for: 1) he doesn't speak (or wave), and 2) he's "introspective". Does he look like Ethan Hawke? If so, give him my number. My real number.

 
At 8:32 PM, June 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Epstein. I couldn't get over a guy with that name having such a Texan accent. But the lecture was all right.

 
At 8:25 PM, June 02, 2005, Blogger maisnon said...

dude - *I'M* the girl who sat in front of you! (Say hello to me tomorrow!) At least I think so, was said girl Indian? If not, don't bother reading further.

Let me explicate myself: the card binder thing - I'm a sucker for school supplies. I was very mope-y about BarBri, so I treated myself to some OfficeDepot action. I'm writing my flashcards as I go. The extra notebook is for the overarching stuff - for example all the times where the UCC and common law differ.

 
At 8:36 PM, June 02, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

HAHA! I had a feeling someone was going to catch me sooner or later. Because I'm a people watcher, I noticed the same girl was a few rows closer to the front today wearing a green shirt (I swear I'm trying to learn contracts, too, and not just staring at my classmates all day - but who wants to stare at Epstein anyway?) - was it you?

That's really funny. Hope you didn't take offense!

 
At 9:12 PM, June 02, 2005, Blogger maisnon said...

It's me! I'm not offended at all! Here was my stream-of-consciousness: "I have one of those too....hey, wait...couldn't be...nah...maybe? OMIGOD, she's talking about ME...and she thinks I'm a GEEK++" And that's when I started laughing.

Seriously, say hello tomorrow.

I feel like I should carry a red rose or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares