Thursday, June 30, 2005

A Victory For the People!

The guy I'm suing wised up! His lawyer called me this morning and said he accepted my offer! It's pretty unbelievable, because I would only settle for a very little less than what he owed me - so obviously if he thought he had any chance of winning, there's no way he would settle. I'm sure he thought there I'd never go through with it, or I'd get worn out and settle for something ridiculous. If you had heard the numbers he was throwing at me before today, you'd know he was just trying to screw with me.

So, his lawyer said she'd draw up the settlement offer and since the court date is so close she would go next Wednesday and give notice of the settlement. Technically, I don't have to be there - but what do you guys think? I mean, the lawyer is obviously going to have big problems if she's lying to me, but the defendant is a total douchebag, and I don't trust him farther than I can throw him. On the other hand, the courthouse is a 45 minute metro ride into Maryland at 7am, which I'd like to avoid.

I've got to run to class - but woo!! Sorry I won't have any dramatic court appearances to share ("Objection your Honor! The defendant is clearly a douchebag!") but at least I got my money.

Court dismissed!
Gavel

10 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, June 30, 2005, Blogger maisnon said...

I believe that that would be a speaking objection. Just kidding!! Congrats!!

 
At 12:52 PM, June 30, 2005, Anonymous shell said...

Heather, you should go just to see how downtrotten the defendant looks.

Big congrats to you! Imagine, you, a recent grad of law school, beat out a licensed attorney. That's a huge ego-booster.

I can't wait to see a pix of Heather dancing gleefully around the courtroom, holding a big sign "I won! Eat dust, douchebag!"

 
At 1:17 PM, June 30, 2005, Blogger stag said...

Yay! Hooray! Congrats.

 
At 1:28 PM, June 30, 2005, Blogger CM said...

You rock! Bet it feels good to be a law school grad right now.

I would go, just so you can see this through and make sure that everything goes as you expect. Then you can forget about it and not worry that the other lawyer screwed you over.

 
At 2:08 PM, June 30, 2005, Blogger kmsqrd said...

You don't have to sign the settlement papers?

Congrats on the victory over the cheap man!!

 
At 2:32 PM, June 30, 2005, Blogger stag said...

Now step right over there so you can talk with Doug Llewellyn.

 
At 2:48 PM, June 30, 2005, Anonymous kristine said...

Yay! Victory!

I'd go, though, just to make sure there are no hitches. Or glitches. Or witches.

 
At 4:27 PM, June 30, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

"Victory is mine!"

Awesome job Heather. =)

 
At 4:27 PM, June 30, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

"Victory is mine!"

Awesome job Heather. =)

 
At 4:51 PM, June 30, 2005, Anonymous eve said...

Go, and hand him a bag of sand, and tell him to COUNT IT! :) he he he. Really, Congratulations, way to follow through and get what you deserved the whole time! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares