Monday, June 20, 2005

You know what's a weird sound to wake up to?

Someone washing your door. Seriously. I mean, they vacuum the hallways in my apartment building everyday at 10am, which is still a bit early for me on the weekends - especially since the outlet in the hallway is on the wall directly on the other side of my headboard, so I can hear people fooling around with electrical appliances eight inches my ears. Occasionally they do come around and wash the windows, but this is the first time I've ever heard someone wash my door. I guess they didn't like my greasy little handprints all over it? I wonder how many people are going to surprise the cleaning lady by whipping open their door to investigate?

Speaking of doors, does anyone else live in an apartment that has a doorbell? I have this strange push-bell thing, like an old school doorbell my grandma might have on her house. It's not electrical, but it's loud as fuck in my little studio. I didn't even notice the button at first, because it's just a small circle on this mirrored plate that masks the eyehole, but every single delivery man insists on using it. Even when I hear him coming down the hallway and I'm expecting it, the sound still makes my skin crawl. I've thought about putting a sign out there, but I don't want to have to look at it all the time, and I'd just forget about it when I ordered food. Why can't they just knock? It's not like I'll be back in the conservatory and unable to hear him.

5 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, June 20, 2005, Blogger stag said...

I used to live in a studio with a bell like that. The old lady across from me put masking tape on her bell, and I didn't know why. I guess she didn't like the sound of it. She was crazy. I wrote about her here: http://stagblog.blogspot.com/2005/03/mick_111233253489476121.html

 
At 1:42 PM, June 20, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

ha, god. i'm totally going to turn into that woman.

your posts about mick make me want to get a cat. i'm going to hold out until i can find Iggy.

 
At 4:52 PM, June 20, 2005, Blogger Robert said...

H-
I’m at work mindlessly sitting at my computer catching up on some blog when I remember you said I never comment. So, here I am commenting. Why now, I’d say mostly because your washing the door post along with the other person’s comment on cats had me thinking…
You know what pisses me off. When I’m trying to sleep and outside my door I hear someone washing my dog. I mean shit. I don’t have a maid, live in an apartment complex, or a vet who does house calls. But at least once a month there is some stranger outside washing my dog and singing show tunes. Who does that?

 
At 5:24 PM, June 20, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

man....you've been getting too much of that florida sun, sweeheart.

 
At 6:08 PM, June 20, 2005, Blogger stag said...

I would like it if someone washed my cat. I have to pay the vet to wash him and for the drugs required to make him sleep during the bath. It's freakin' expensive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares