Friday, July 08, 2005

Do thermometers lie?

I have a fever.

Could someone please tell me how that happens. Can I whine for just a minute? I thought I was just being wimpy today. I was so tired during class my brain completely stopped functioning. Which helps explain why the lecturer was just torture for me. My limbs felt strangly weak, but I've started doing pilates all week and my ass and thighs are so sore, I thought it was just residual effect from that (but oh baby, one more week and you'll be able to bounce a quarter off them. hot!) Usually I stay after class and do essays, but due to the lack of neutrons firing, I felt a nap might be in order.

I rarely take naps, because it takes me so long to fall asleep. It was especially brutal today though. It was 6:40 so I set the alarm for 8pm, figuring I'd spend at least half an hour awake. No. I was freezing; I got another blanket, then I turned the A/C down even farther (I'm not sure it had even kicked on - I hate air conditioning), but no luck. The alarm went off at 8 and I was still awake and felt awful. I turned it off and just stayed in bed, finally kind of drifting off, and I woke up around 11pm. I know, I know, ruining my night of sleep, but too bad.

I had the Bravo channel on, watching Blow Out, which is hilarious if you haven't seen it. Don't even lie to me and tell me that guy is straight. He cries at everything. Anyway, I had a headache all day, but I didn't take aspirin at night because I wanted to take some sleeping pills. I popped some and got in bed again after midnight, and just started to sweat. I'd been so cold earlier and now I was so hot, even with the A/C blasting. Queer Eye came on and they sent the straight man to this epsom salt bath. The woman in charge explained how it's warmed to body temperature. Only then did it even occur to me I might be sick. I actually felt much better by this point, but I still had a fever of 100.7, so I assume it was higher earlier.

I'm really weird about getting sick, because I almost (knock on wood) never do. It occured to me earlier that I haven't even had a little cold in over a year. I didn't get sick at all this winter. And the last time I had a fever? I honestly couldn't tell you. I took apart half my medicine shelf in the walk-in closet trying to find the thermometer. When I do get sick though, I get sick. I had mono my freshman year, and I was a little concerned earlier because that's kind of how I felt today. Ugh, could you imagine getting mono three weeks before the bar?

My mom has one and only one story about taking me to the hospital as a child. I was a toddler and had a fever that just wouldn't go down. I was the oldest and my mom didn't want to be one of those freak-out moms who runs their kid to the doctor for every cough, so she tried the children's tylenol, then some home remedies (baths, etc), but nothing worked so she finally took me to the emergency room and the doctor gave me, seriously, the adult dose of tylenol, and? Good as new. It's weird, it's like my immune system even fights off medicine. It's why sleeping pills don't really knock me out, they just tend to help me fall asleep a little faster. Of course, I don't have any medicine here for fevers, so I hope it just passes on its own. I'm so hot, I'm baking here.

Okay, whining over. I think the sleeping pills might have some aspirin in them, because my headache's gone, but I'm still wide awake. I should probably go lay down. Being Bobby Brown is on. I've never seen it before, but whoa, is that one trashy family. Not as bad as the show with Britney Spears and her greasy boyfriend. Either way, perfect for me to fall asleep to.

8 Comments:

At 2:40 AM, July 08, 2005, Anonymous jake said...

I hope you feel better, but at least you aren't starving in Africa.



sorry. couldn't resist.

 
At 3:08 AM, July 08, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

that's an excellent point.

 
At 3:53 AM, July 08, 2005, Anonymous shell said...

I wonder if this condition's triggered by the stress, heat and eating habits (have you been eating chocolates by the pound? j/k).

I'm also very susceptible to fevers under these conditions. My body really took a hit that one summer I spent in DC.

My recommendation - try to get normal sleep, buy a super-size fan (A/C doesn't really get the air circulation flowing fast enough), drink lots of fluids (none too icy) and eat lots of fruits. You might want to avoid eating greasy/dried goodies such as peanut butter, chocolate and nuts for a while.

 
At 9:53 AM, July 08, 2005, Blogger stag said...

Maybe try Nyquill and pass out for the night. I like that and Tylenol Cold for the day. You're watching a lot of tv. Hope you feel better soon!

 
At 10:25 AM, July 08, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Sending healthy thoughts your way!

 
At 11:10 AM, July 08, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

I'm sorry hun. I hope you feel better! I'm sending you love from CA.

 
At 12:16 PM, July 08, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

For the record, I've been eating pretty healthy lately, I keep those chocolate squares around so I won't go crazy and eat a pint of ben and jerry's. I rarely have more than 2-3 at a time. ;)

Not to mention, I've totally turned the TV off during the day so it will stop interferring with my studying, it was hard at first, but now it just goes on right before I go to bed. Of course, last night I wasn't doing jack, so it was on for awhile.

I feel much better this morning, but I'm going to have to go to the night class tonight.

 
At 1:07 PM, October 01, 2005, Blogger NYCGuy12 said...

http://curecoldsores.mega-products.com/cold_sore_pic.html

I have a Cold Sore site/blog. It pretty much covers Cold Sore related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares