Monday, July 11, 2005

Good times.

What an eventful day, and it's only 9am. Lucky, lucky me. By the way, I apologize that this has become the "Blog of my health problems" lately. I promise, it will soon be over! But first, one final chapter to the saga.

I woke up just after 4am, feeling as if I'd suddenly descended 30,000 feet. My left ear was in so much effing pain, I couldn't get back to sleep. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

%$%&*#*&*# EAR INFECTION!! AHHHHH!

I couldn't get back to sleep so finally I said to myself, "Heather, just go to the god damn doctor already." And what better time to get a good spot in line at the ER than 5am on a Monday morning?

By pure luck, my mom happened to be awake on the west coast, because she had to leave for LAX at 3:30am. So I called her just to confirm I wasn't overreacting. She was more concerned that 1) I hadn't gone earlier and 2) I was going by myself. I told her I'd be fine, that I'd take a cab to Georgetown. Which was all well and good until not 1, not 4, not 8, but at least TEN taxis sped right by me. Oh, they all saw me, and gave me the old "sorry" wave. WTF. They were probably all getting off shift or something. Anyway, after 15 minutes of this I said, "fuck it" and got on the metro to go to GW instead. Did you know GW is where they take the President if he gets shot? Yup. In fact, it's named the Ronald Reagan Emergency Room. Everything in this ridiculous town is named after Ronald Reagan. As soon as I walked in, I had the urge to yell, "Is this publicly funded?! TEAR IT DOWN!"

Anyway, the doc took a quick look and said, "Oh, you definitely have an ear infection. It sounds like you had a viral infection (the fever from thursday), which led to the bacterial infections in your eyes and ear." In other words: I am a total mess right now. He gave me two perscriptions for antibiotics for my eyes and ear, and some oxycodone, which I'm looking forward to once it kicks in.

I hit up the CVS on K Street (I looked hot in my sweatshirt and frizzy hair next to the lawyers in Armani), and even though the sign said the phramacy was supposed to open at 8am, it wasn't. I went up to ask a clerk who said they were running late and wouldn't open until 9am. (It was 8:10am.) Then, between the lack of sleep, the 5am trek to the ER, and the general fog I've been living in for the last two months, I asked the clerk, "Do all, um, is, uh...[meaningless hand gesture]...the others supposed to open at eight?" That's why I went to law school, folks: to be all articulate and shit.

I got my drugs (and more pens, woo!) at the CVS in my neighborhood, so now I'm just waiting for the painkiller to kick in so I can catch some zzz's. Man, I'm going to end up winging this exam. It's gonna be great!

6 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, July 11, 2005, Anonymous rebecca said...

!!!

i'm glad you went! hope you feel better soon, and don't worry too much. you defeated your evil employer, you are now invincible.

 
At 12:17 PM, July 11, 2005, Blogger G. said...

So glad you got the antibiotics!! That's actually probably a really good thing since it will keep you getting infected with anything else (well, except a virus!) until the exam is over!

 
At 5:42 PM, July 11, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

yeah!!! now you know what is causing all of this AND you have medicine. =)

its always good to call the mom to find out what is ailing you even when they are thousands of miles away. smart move.

 
At 5:47 PM, July 11, 2005, Anonymous eve said...

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the ear infection, but hopefully it won't cause you too much trouble between now and then. Take care of yourself!! :0

 
At 9:23 PM, July 11, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

You brat. Just think what would've happened had you waited another day to go. Get well, STAT!

 
At 10:19 PM, July 11, 2005, Anonymous shell said...

I'm glad that you finally went to see the doctor (not implying that getting sick is a good thing or anything).

You probably know all the drills by now - drinking fluids, get plenty of sleeps, etc, etc.

Hey, you were sick. Who could blame you for gesturing like mad? I'm surprised you didn't cuss out the clerks (esp since it's their fault they were behind).

Oh..I'm sorry. I suffered a relapse (re-experiencing a @W$%@r@r#w experience I had where my health care provider made me wait 2-1/2 freaking hours even though I had an appointment, not to mention I endured 2 weeks of waiting for this appointment opening because I had sharp stabbing pains in both eyes).

I think, given your condition, you were calm, collected, and incredibly polite. Bravo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares