Saturday, July 30, 2005

I am the walking dead.

It's like when I got my tongue pierced. Another girl, a friend of a friend, wanted hers done too, so we went together. I made the mistake of letting her go first. It was my first non-ear piercing so I was a little anxious to begin with. Then I watched the piercing guy (PG) shove a metal rod through this girl's tongue. Oh my god, that shit is gross.

So, I'm more freaked, but still going through with it. PG tells me I have to relax for him to do his thing. I push it all to the back of my head. Relaxed. I felt something softly pressing on my tongue. "Done, now don't move while I screw the head on." What? Done? I didn't even feel it! My friend and I are instructed to sit for a minute, then we follow PG to the front to pay.

I felt fine. Great! I got to the counter, and suddenly nothing was in color anymore. My friend says something to me; it sounds like I'm underwater. I gripped the counter and PG says, "Whoa whoa," and puts his arm around me while backing me up into a chair. After I sat there long enough to induce at least one person in the waiting room to leave, PG takes me to the back room again to lay down. He said it happens all the time, people get all geared up to face the pain, then when it doesn't hurt, the rush of adrenaline leaving your body makes you pass out.

Okay, so it's not exactly the same. The bar did hurt a little bit. But now I'm feeling that same release of adrenaline. My brain has completely shut off and I feel like a zombie. Like I could sleep for 10 days straight. I'm cranky and almost feeling worse than the week before the bar. I was totally calm then, and I think it was because I had pushed it all to the back of my head to deal with later. Now I'm dealing with it. Ugh.

My mom and I are leaving tomorrow to drive into the center of the sun. Otherwise known as Palm Springs. We're kind of regretting choosing to go in August. When we made the plans in May, a weekend poolside after the bar sounded great. After watching weather reports saying that Palm Spring is hands down the hottest place in the entire California desert right now, we're thinking, maybe we should have gone for Christmas. Anyway, I'm going to get a tan and drink frosty beverages. And I'm going to like it.

6 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, July 30, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Actually it's more the fact that your body sort of goes into shock, after all it is a pretty big wound! I remember after I got my nipples pierced I started shaking afterward and had to sit down cause I couldn't walk! :)

 
At 11:09 PM, July 30, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

ohhhh...i'm so jealous. even if it is palm springs, it's fun in the sun.

H's Mama and H, please don't forget to wear suncreen!! And have a couple of drinks pour moi.

 
At 11:39 PM, July 30, 2005, Anonymous shell said...

It's is done and over with!

So I take it that the Bar Exam wasn't as bad as torture but nevertheless traumatizing?

I'm glad to hear that you finally have the time to go chilling and hanging out with your family & friends. Isn't it nice to enjoy a normal (and I say this somewhat tentatively) lifestyle again?

 
At 11:59 AM, July 31, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

GG - ha, well, that might be a little different. a nipple piercing is less like a "soft press" from the metal, and more like the "fiery hot rod of death" being shoved through your breast. I can't believe you had the constitution to sit there and let them do a second one, haha.

 
At 3:21 PM, July 31, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Actually I almost didn't. But it was a Monday and I was the only one there so the piercer didn't mind waiting 20 minutes for me to stop freaking out enough to let him do the 2nd one. :)

Have an awesome trip!

 
At 2:42 PM, August 01, 2005, Blogger jm said...

Re: crankiness. Husband and I had a substantial disagreement yesterday over his packing strategy for our trip. Two months of peacefulness (which is our usual way...no drama here) and then we start to disagree after the bar? WTF? And why do I really care if he wants to shop for clothing while we're in Europe? I mean, what's my problem? Oh yeah, it's the residual bitchy side effects left over from the bar. Sweet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares