Sunday, July 31, 2005

Literally, the face of the sun.

I sort of lied. I'm actually going to Palm Desert, not Palm Springs. They're right next to each other, but no one has ever heard of Palm Desert so I got tired of explaining it to people everytime they asked. Are you wondering what the pool looks like that I'll be tanning next to? I know you are.

I forgot to mention that I saw March of the Penguins yesterday! It's just as great as everyone is saying.
From March of the PenguinsFrom March of the Penguins
Of course, it's a little more sad than I thought it would be. Not overall, but you know, it's life and death. There was a little girl, maybe four or five years old, in the row behind me who started sobbing at one point, crying, "Mommy! What happened to the baby!?" So there's frozen baby penguins on the screen in front of me and a little girl's heart breaking behind me. I nearly lost it.

But I think the National Geographers went to great lengths not to dwell on the violence of being a wild animal, and instead focus on the love and loss and joy and struggle of the penguins, which is quite moving.

Oh, I got a pedicure yesterday. The girl raised my foot to pumice it and said, "Oh, what happened?" I said, "Um, this happened." Gross, a month later and I'm still recovering from those blisters. At least I got some money out of it.

I'm off to pack. I may or may not be blogging, depending on whether the Marriott has free internet access. (The Marriott in Oakland wanted $1 a minute, which I could rack up pretty quickly. Twenty bucks to check my email? No way.)

Check you guys later!

5 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, July 31, 2005, Blogger Kelly said...

That pool looks awesome. Have fun!

 
At 3:19 PM, July 31, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Yeah I thought it was odd that it was being marketed as a "family" movie too, given that it's ANTARCTICA for pete's sake, the livin' ain't exactly easy. But what a terrific movie. I recently read Earnest Shackleton's account of his 1918 expedition to the South Pole (they ended up getting stranded and spending TWO YEARS there), so his descriptions of the conditions and weather made it even more impressive.

I want a baby penguin!! :) Have a great trip!

 
At 3:33 PM, July 31, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

have fun darling.

i have a funny story to share in regarding to the movie as well. I went with my brother (14 years old), and he knew that the movie dealt with mating (and S-E-X). So, when after the penguins copulated, a few minutes later, my brother turns to T and I and asks, "Wait. What just happened? How did they make a baby?" T and I started giggling like school girls. Then T responded, "Remember, its a G rated movie." So, my video-addicted, violence wanting, puberty brother was quite disappointed with the movie. It's amusing to see how much we grow up. Or don't.

 
At 1:34 AM, August 01, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

One of my most favorite boys in the universe was in Palm Desert this weekend at a bachelor party. I DEFINITELY know where it is ;)

 
At 2:58 PM, August 03, 2005, Blogger Saucy Lil' Tart said...

Now I must really see this March of the Penguins. I didn't know what it was, since I've been out of tune with pop culture as of late, but you liked it, I'll dig it too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares