Friday, July 29, 2005

Planes, trains, and really bad smells.

I think that sums it up pretty well. If you were, like me, unaware of the exact location of the Ontario Convention Center, it goes a little like this. Here's the OCC, directly across the street is the Ontario Marriott, my home for three days, 20 yards behind that are train tracks, and 50 yards behind that is the freaking Ontario airport. It's also 95 degrees everyday, which means a good number of people stank to high heaven by 2pm, so the exam went kind of like this:

"You have three hours. Begin."
'Oh my god, what the fuck is the doctrine of exoneration?'
[rumble, rumble, rumble, CHOOO CHOOOOOOOOOO]
'Oh my god, what the fuck is this supposed to be crossed over with?'
[sound of jet engines firing]
'Oh my god, fucking PR again'
[the girl next to me shakes her fists at the sky, for the fifth time this session]
'Oh my god, I'm running out of time'
[the proctors keep opening and closing the entryway doors, so the stank in the room wafts back and forth in front of me]
"Time, please put your pens down."
TDB behind me, "Oh man, if you didn't see those cross-overs you were totally screwed. Ha Ha Ha. I saw them though, piece of cake."
Girl next to him, "Um, yeah, actually, I hate talking about the questions, if you don't mind."
TDB, "Oh oh, sure, yeah, some people hate hearing what they missed, I get it....Like in number two, there was [some issue]"
Girl, trying to be polite, "No really, I don't want to talk about it."
[10 minutes later, they're still collecting the books]
TDB, "I nearly missed [some issue] in question three! Can you believe that? Ha! It was so obvious, too."
Me, turning around and ready-to-kill, "She's asked you twice now, and no one else wants to hear you run your yap either. Could you shut it for the time we're all trapped in here? Then you can find your friends, which you may or may not have, and continue being a douchebag."

Well, I might have said a different version of that, but he got my real meaning. If there's one thing I learned, do EVERYTHING in your power to finish and get out of that exam room before they call five minutes, or you're going to be falsly imprisoned for a good half-hour, in addition to the twenty minutes they started late, giving you about 45 minutes to run somewhere and get lunch.

All in all, I can live with how I did. I was a little surprised at how much came back to me when I finally put pen to paper. On the other hand, if I fail, I guarantee you it will be because of the MBE. After the first session I was really terrified that I slacked too much on the practice questions, since I focused so hard on the essays. I literally guessed on maybe 75% of the questions.

But now I'm hearing that everyone thought it was BS, and I read over at Eve's that these may have been newly designed questions they're toying with. Well, I take issue with that. What kind of fucking asshole is sitting upstairs at NCBE telling the writers, "Okay, let's really fuck with their minds this year!" I mean, when they changed the SAT, we knew five years in advance, so all the test prep centers could re-do their study programs. So if they really did roll out a new system without warning, it totally undermines everything the bar is supposed to be about (and we know is a complete lie anyway) - that it's to see who is prepared enough to be a lawyer. And why the fuck did I pay Bar/Bri nearly $3000 again?

Anyway, I have a lot more to say about this week, but I think I'll dole it out in parts. I've been trying to get through all the blogs today, but you guys wrote a lot this week! It's interesting seeing everyone's take on it. At any rate, CONGRATULATIONS!! We're done. Hopefully for the last time. ;)

4 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, July 29, 2005, Anonymous Rebecca said...

yeah first to comment! haha (oh wait, i think that might mean i'm a loser)

anyway, congratulations on being finished! and i agree that the MBE questions were really weird and I guessed on a large majority of them.

 
At 10:13 PM, July 29, 2005, Blogger Kelly said...

Congratulations to you too!

As far as the MBE, other than GG, most everyone thinks they failed outright. They're going to have to add on like 52 points when they scale it, if that's truly the case.

The second day, going back in after lunch, two girls in the stairwell were talking REALLY LOUDLY about specific questions. I so wanted to stick a shiv in them. I think I could have used self-defense as a defense too. Seriously, I call talking like know it alls about the Bar questions is an imminent threat of deadly harm, don't you?

 
At 10:22 PM, July 29, 2005, Blogger G. said...

THAT'S SO AWESOME THAT YOU CALLED HIM A DB TO HIS FACE!!! What a jerk!!! The most infuriating part is that because the girl specifically said she didn't want to talk, I have no doubt that he was intentionally doing it to try and "psych out" the people around him and get one measly bit closer to passing.

People like that are so evil -- they're the ones who give all lawyers a reputation for being awful people.

Anyways about the leaving early... for people on laptop, if you leave early you can't take your computer with you (because apparently taking your computer with you is just too distracting)... so you STILL would have to wait around and come back for it! At least we left the computers in the room at lunch, so I was able to leave early during the morning sessions and not have to wait around for the 90-year-old proctors to sloooooooowly make their way around the room collecting the booklets....

 
At 11:22 PM, July 29, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

heather, you rock! there were people like that everywhere. the greatest invention ever made?? earplugs. seriously.

I met Maisnon and her buddies, which she shared the story of how you two met. Flashback to a few weeks ago...though it really feels like ten years ago. =)

we are done. thats the best part. yeah!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares