Saturday, July 09, 2005

Rebellion of the body.

Ooookay. I don't really know what's happening, but there is something funky going on with my health right now. I'm not even really that stressed out, I'm not eating that badly, and I walk about 2 miles a day and do pilates, so I don't know why this is happening.

Although my fever seemed to be gone Friday morning, I went to school around 4pm and did some essays, but my brain was so tired I could barely concentrate. Then during class, I munched on a bag of chex mix, even though I wasn't hungry, because the constant hand movement was the only thing keeping me awake. I've been waking up with headaches the past few days, but today was the kicker:

I woke up with an eye infection this morning. Though, I couldn't tell you for sure, because I've NEVER had any kind of infection in my life. All I know is that it's completely red and swollen. Wtf?

My problem is that, even if I had time to be making doctor's appointments, my school insurance (because my school LOVES and CARES for us) doesn't allow us to use the school clinic after gradation, and I don't have a GP in town.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Or know some kick-ass over the counter meds I could try?

Update: I tried the hot towel and visine, and that seems to have done quite a bit. It feels much better at least. I'll see how it is tomorrow, and make an appointment with a doc on Monday if I have to. If someone knows of a walk-in clinic around DC, let me know. Also, I think my headaches are attributable to the caffiene withdrawal, which I stopped drinking so it wouldn't contribute to the family of ills.

6 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, July 09, 2005, Blogger stag said...

Was it crusty? If so, it might be Pink Eye. All I know to do about that is put a wet towel on it to make it feel better. That and that it's highly contagious. Good luck.

 
At 10:51 AM, July 09, 2005, Blogger G. said...

You can get antibiotic eye drops -- just open the phone book and start calling around (although I realize it's saturday now so you'll have to wait till Monday) and ask if they can see you that day as a new patient.

 
At 11:02 AM, July 09, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

for some herbal remedies, i would go to whole foods and see what they have.

whenever i have had an eye infection, i make a hot towel (wet the towel, put it in the microwave for a few minutes, take it out gently) and i put that over my eye.

if it is red, use visine. but the worst thing you can do right now is spread it. you spread it by touching your eye and then touching the desk or book. Then someone else will touch that book or desk. You may even touch it and spread it to your other eye. SO, when you touch your eye, wash hands immediately.

i'm sure it will heal in a two days. most probably your caught it from someone while riding the metro or whatnot.

yeah, the no health care policy is whack. especially since we paid so much for it.

these are my suggestions and i hope it works out.

 
At 11:34 AM, July 09, 2005, Anonymous jake said...

I don't have any suggestions, but now I feel really badly about the "at least you're not.." comment the other day...

Feel better soon.

 
At 1:10 PM, July 09, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

god that would be so gross if i caught something from the metro. i'm kind of a freak about washing my hands whenever i get to where i'm going, if i had to use metro. i can't touch the escalator handrails or the poles without feeling like i just put my hands in an exposed petri dish.

once, i saw a lady holding a sick baby standing on the train. her baby would sneeze and all this disgusting stuff would ooze out. she'd take the hand holding the pole, which had a kleenex, wipe off the ooze, then put the kleenex and her hand back on the pole. i almost lost my lunch.

thanks for the recommendations, i'm going to try the towel thing.

 
At 5:36 PM, July 09, 2005, Anonymous shell said...

I'm worried about you, Heather.

I know you don't have insuranced coverage right now, but your health is very important and you should make an appointment with a doctor ASAP.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares