Wednesday, July 20, 2005

What's up in the eight-oh-five!?!

They used to say that on the radio station I used to listen to growing up. They also used to play Tupac, and I'm pretty sure they don't do either anymore.

I'm back online! I arrived back home today in the big VTA, and it's just as suburbilicious as I left it. On the upside, I think it's the first time I've ever brought work on a plane with me and actually did it, which made the time fly by. As I, also, flew. Hah. Eh...what? I had a much-too-long conversation with the woman sitting next to me about what day it was. I think we were both a little embarrassed, at least, we should have been. Occasionally I think I mistakenly took a serious monster-hit of an illegal substance sometime around late May and have yet to come out of the haze.

Number of people who asked me what was up with the "Did you kill an entire rain-forest" quantity of flashcards in the past week: 4
Number of people who asked immediately, "First, second, third timer?": 4
Number of people who "heard most people take it 3-4 times before passing" and then quickly wished me luck: 4

Speaking of failing, I did a quick run-through of the blogs just now (not everything, I've missed a lot!) and - whoa - do I feel like a slacker! Yes, I've been studying all day, but it just sounds like people are FREAKING out and doing 9983 essays, 8,893,293 MBEs and a couple PTs everyday. I'm, like, reviewing my flashcards, writing a brief outline and writing out the rules, making a checklist, outlining some essays, and if I can't get through them all, I at least read them so I've "seen" the issue in an essay. You guys are doing WAY, WAY more than that. I may live to regret it. Then I can satisfy all those strangers by telling them "Um, I'm on my fifth try...or is it sixth? I've lost count." We'll see, ever since I broke out in hives my sophomore year in college because I was such a stress-case as a physics major, I really can't, physically, make myself freak out that much anymore. It just deteriates my health and puts me into total-shut down mode. I'm trying to convince myself that my zen-like ability to stay calm in the face of total uncertainty will give me a leg-up on at least half the people on exam day.

Anyway - thanks to those of you who sent me emails and left comments while I was offline! It was so nice to see some love when I got back! I missed everyone. The blogs have been my lifeline through this whole process this summer, and going cold-turkey sort of put me off-kilter for awhile. I won't be around quite as much this week, since we're hitting the final countdown and, unlike at my apartment, there are plenty of other places to study at mom's house that aren't directly in front of the computer, but I'll be here, checking up on you all. I'll try to think of some stories from the past week to blog.

P.S. What's up with the Ontario crowd? Are we drinking? Imbibing mass quantities of the frothy amber brew? I'll babysit the frosty beverages myself, if I have to.

10 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, July 20, 2005, Blogger shell said...

Welcome back! Yep, everyone was freaking out last week about the Bar exam, but now it seems like reality has settled in that you just can't study anymore. Sanity has returned (somewhat).

Good luck on the exam!

 
At 11:43 PM, July 20, 2005, Blogger jm said...

Demonstrating my ignorance yet again (seems to be a theme with this whole bar-thing), what is VTA? Dammit, I'm moving to California and have not the first clue where any cities are other than LA and SF. Not so hot.

 
At 11:52 PM, July 20, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

VTA = Ventura. Also known as "the Los Angeles suburbs" even though it's about an hour north. It's the commute that invented road rage. But, the sunny 70 degree coastal weather year-round helps to make up for the baby strollers and tract housing.

 
At 12:24 AM, July 21, 2005, Blogger stag said...

Whassssuupp? I'm down in the 3-1-0 myself, at least for the next two days. Ok. Whatever. Sounds like you're taking the studying in stride and not freaking out, which is good. Keep it up.

 
At 11:08 AM, July 21, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

yeah Heather's back! =)

Yeah, we all had panic sessions, some of us induced by PMBR, others because they didn't PMBR, and then it was just commotion. Over the Internet.

You sound you are doing everything. Don't flip. People have different strengths and weaknesses. Can't compare, just do! Sorry, over the past week, I've come up with ways to avoid stress and saying these quirky things to people is one way.

Oh, to answer your question you left on my blog, yes, I am moving back to DC. You'll be there right?

 
At 8:43 PM, July 21, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

I'm flipping. I need checklists. I have lists but I don't have checklists. I was planning on doing condensing of my lists during my final review (Sunday and Monday) because I would figure that's when they'd be freshest. But I don't have checklists. I repeat, I don't have checklists!

 
At 2:06 AM, July 22, 2005, Blogger jm said...

Heather - HOLD UP. That's your site, HG Photography? Why have I never seen this before? Golly. I feel like you've been holding out on me, only posting pictures of dessicated pens. And teensy pictures of calamari. What the hell, woman?

 
At 2:32 AM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Yup, that's my site. It's been my pet project for about two years, but I keep lacking the money and time to do anything real with it. I was selling prints for awhile, but I had to take the sales part down because I obviously have NO time right now to be dealing with it. My big wish is to become a full-time photographer one day. For now, I enjoy it as a hobby and just hope that I'll keep getting better and learning new techniques. I mean, techniques aside from lighting the right angles of my ballpoints. :)

 
At 2:47 AM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Eve said...

Are you taking the exam in Ontario too? I tried to plan something for after the exam, but I think most people are leaving soon after or curling up in the fetal position. I'm planning on going shopping at Victoria Gardens [big outdoor mall in Rancho] and dinner with a few friends - wanna join? :) Shoot me an email if you're interested: legalinsanity-gmail.

 
At 2:14 PM, July 22, 2005, Blogger jm said...

Heather, I'm putting the HG link in my "post bar life" folder, so that I can hit you up for prints when I've got the $ and you've got the time. It would be nice to have some new pictures on the wall. Maybe a nice ballpoint homage...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares