Thursday, July 14, 2005

Writing cover letters:

A. Reminds you how much you suck.
B. Reminds you how much your writing sucks.
C. Is a relaxing break while studying for the bar.
D. Reminds you that you're still jobless and facing $100K in debt.

C is obviously wrong. B and D are technically correct, but not the best answers. A is the right answer because it's universal, encompassing not only B and D, but how much you have sucked in everything you've ever done.

I just wrote my last cover letter until after the bar. I had cut myself off after Fourth of July weekend, but a friend sent me a posting for a non-profit that was awesome and probably not going to be open three weeks from now.

I had Rebecca read over the letter I whipped up this morning (thanks!) and she noted, "This must be really stressful right now." In a word: yes. I was thinking, between my lawsuit, my sickness, my computer problems, and my joblessness, it will be a sheer miracle if I pass the bar. I've decided I'm just going to have to ride out my iBook until it goes quietly into that good night, because I had a panic attack last night at the thought of going to Apple this morning and pleading with the man to give me a new one - and then having to go back again to take back this one when they refuse, or pick up a new one. Not now. Not two weeks before the exam. My warranty expires the first week of August, so it's now or never, and I think it's going to be never. Like I told Rebecca, people are starving in Africa and I'm just going to have to be thankful I have a computer at all.

On another note, I've been trying to wind up studying everyday by 11pm, so I watch the Daily Show as I'm getting ready for bed. If you haven't watched in awhile, they have a new set, which is going to take awhile to get used to. The screen behind Jon looks like it goes on into infinity, so that's a little distracting.

On Monday's show, they talked about the London bombings and showed a couple of clips from Fox News that I wanted to share with you:

Fox News anchor, "See, this is why they should have given the Olympics to France."
Guest on a different Fox program, "When I first heard of the bombings, I thought, just on a personal level...I should be looking at the futures, this might be a really good time to buy."

God, I hate those fuckers. Thank you Jon Stewart for keeping my sanity in this political and cultural nightmare we're living in right now.

7 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, July 14, 2005, Blogger jm said...

Could you take the iBook with you to CA, and exchange it on Friday morning after the exam?

Um, nevermind, that's an incredibly dumb suggestion given that we will all be lying in a gutter on Friday, emotionally drained and hungover.

 
At 1:57 PM, July 14, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

send it to me, i can throw it at the Apple HQ building a few blocks from me, and quickly run away.

brilliant.

 
At 3:39 PM, July 14, 2005, Anonymous Rebecca said...

i hear Jon totally handed this guy his ass the other day (author of "The 100 People Who are Screwing Up America). Anxiously awaiting its release in the "video" section of the website.

 
At 3:44 PM, July 14, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

jm - a possibility. i'll see where the mac stores are near my house.

rebecca - i was listening to it with half an ear last night, and the guy was a TOTAL douchebag. i almost posted about him, too. it should rerun at 7pm and 11:30pm tonight on tv, if you want to catch it.

 
At 3:49 PM, July 14, 2005, Blogger jm said...

Possible to return, or possible that you'll be face down in a gutter? :)

 
At 4:22 PM, July 14, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Um, equally possible? No, one of them is a little more possible... :)

 
At 9:03 PM, July 14, 2005, Blogger jm said...

I've meant to ask for quite a while - are those strips of meat in your picture? It looks like carcasses of small animals on sticks. Am I halucinating?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares