Friday, August 19, 2005

Did you really want to work in DC? Really? Are you sure?

Facts that I learned today:

1) There was a DC Circuit opinion in June that now requires all document review on DC cases to be done by DC licensed attorneys - even if they are on contract.
2) It takes 6-9 months for entry-level attorneys to find a permanent job.
3) It takes 6-9 months for a licensed attorney to waive into DC.
4) That process costs upwards of $700.

What. The. Fuck.

I just got back from my "interview" with a temp agency. Of course it's raining; I can't get enough of walking around in my suit and heels in the DC swamp. It wasn't really an interview so much as a "we dug your resume, we'll see what we can find you, let me tell you about how this works" meeting.

While I was filling out the 10 zillion forms in the waiting room (I'm glad I showed up early), the receptionist answered the phone and apparently it was a person who had submitted their resume online (like I did) and was calling to check in about it. The receptionist said, "No, if we didn't contact you, that means we're not interested....No, sorry, we're not interested, good-bye." Ha, yikes. I might have to take drastic steps if even the temp agency wasn't interested in me.

I was reminded again why I keep my photography experience on my resume, because my interviewer was interested in it, or at least turned it into a good conversation starter. He said he would most likely contact me in the next two weeks (I told him I could start in a week, since I'm moving), and the pay is decent. Once I pass the bar the pay almost doubles. Which is good, since apparently it will be, at minimum, a full year until I have a DC license.

On the way home on the metro, I was reminded about the last time I sat on the metro in my suit, with my straightened hair in a ponytail. It was on the way back from my court case in July, and a guy with a little girl sat in the seat behind me. I started to feel a soft tugging on my hair - which has gotten really long - and the dad saying, "Honey, leave her hair alone. Sweetie, stop touching her hair. Honey, you're bothering her." Haha. It didn't really bother me, she wasn't yanking or anything, I'm sure she thought it was just begging to be tugged on. I would have felt like an ass if I sat up and swept my hair over my shoulder out of her reach, so I just sat there and pretended like I didn't notice.

I'm off to write some more cover letters.

1 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, August 19, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

I really just want to give up. I've given up job searching for the past week, and if it's seriously that hard to find a TEMP job, wtf? I've got no shot! I might as well try to get paid for blogging or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares