Sunday, August 21, 2005

I like my shih tzu crocheted.

I saw a peek into my new life tonight. My soon-to-be roommate C, his current roommate T, and I rented a car today to do furniture shopping. When T called me last week to tell me he wanted to hit up IKEA and that we should rent an SUV to pick up tons of furniture, I told him it was a bad idea. None of us had officially moved yet (T is moving to NYC to sell his soul to BigFirm), and C and I still had no clear idea of what we'd need in the new house. My warnings ignored, we drove the Cadillac Rendezvous to Maryland at 8:30am (uuuuugh!) and weaved in and out of the Swedish furniture, filling the SUV to the brim with...two coffee mugs. Yeah. We found zip, zilch, nada. At least, nothing we were comfortable buying quite yet. Did I say, "I told you so" on the way home? Hell yes I did.

So, in seeming retribution for my always-being-rightness, T decided we needed to find Every Single Furniture Store Within Fifty Miles of DC, because we had to justify the SUV somehow, and only rampant consumerism would do. T needs a couch and thought he'd found a decent one that was originally marked at the low-low price of $2399, but on sale for $1600, which he somehow thought he could negotiate down to $700. Yeah. As he was sitting on this couch, testing its comfortableness, it's does-it-let-me-slouch-ness, it's is-this-chocolate-brown-or-poo-brown-ness, I suddenly saw, quite possibly, THE best thing I've ever seen EVER. An otherwise smallish, homely throw pillow was nestled against the far end. And I quickly realized that OH MY GOD IT WAS THE MOST AWESOME PILLOW EVER.

Damn. It only went downhill from there. We went to some shithole called "Danker" - and really, is any place named Danker going to be filled with hot modern furnishings? Not likely. The showroom clearly hadn't been updated since 1972. There was a lot of stuff that seemed like it must belong to some "era" (you know, Art Deco, Victorian, Contemporary, whatever), but it...really didn't. It was fake-personality furniture. If I was invited to someone's house and saw a piece of this furniture laid out, I would immediately realize that he or she had no personality but was desperately trying to convince others they had one. Like a sorority girl in a trucker hat. Like the girl-next-door in a leather bustier. Almost unsuprisingly, this store, more than any other furniture store we visited, had numerous people - always by themselves - cornering commissioned employees and asking earnestly about this particular piece that spoke to them. It's so unique. I must have it!

We finally gave up around 6:30 (that's around ten hours, if you're counting) after a trip to Target, where C and I made our only satisfying purchase of the day (an ironing board and a box of Reduced Fat Wheat Thins). After a quick nap and a shower, we hit up a Thai place near our new house. I've already shared with Roonie our pee story for the night. I gotta ask - when you order chicken, don't you expect it to be a somewhat healthy dish? Even if you weren't ordering for that reason, you expect a chicken breast, right? I ordered the Mandarin Orange Chicken with Honey Sauce and got a plate of rice (REALLY good super-sticky rice, tinted blue) with four chicken legs - fried. Not what I expected, but it was wicked good anyway. We also had some kick-ass pumpkin empanadas for an appetizer.

After dinner, since we still had the car, we drove by the new house to see the nightlife. I gotta say, it was a whole different feeling. I've been excited about this move - mostly because the last three years have been really hard on me, not just school, but for a lot of reasons, and I'm more than welcoming the change. We signed the lease a few days ago, but not until tonight did I really feel like, "This is going to be SO GREAT." There are tons of jazz clubs nearby, so we'll get a more local feel than we have in the sheltered Van Ness/Cleveland Park areas where we currently live. It really seemed like a city; it was midnight and there were tons of people out - but not in an Adams-Morgan-Barely-Legal-Where's-My-Beer-Bong kind of way. It was an adult, urban kind of way, and I just totally dug it.

I am psyched. Let's move!!

3 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, August 21, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

woo hoo!! I'm happy for you! And I can't wait to invite myself to your house as a reason to go out to U Street andd use the Green Line.

I need tons of living room furniture from IKEA. Hmm...maybe I should look through the catalogue before renting a car and going there.

 
At 5:43 AM, August 22, 2005, Blogger Eve said...

The DLB and I had the same IKEA experience a few weeks ago. Every time I look through the catalog, I'm struck with tons of ideas and see lots of things I like. But when we went, I couldn't imagine buying a single solitary piece. IKEA - a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to shop there... :)

 
At 11:36 AM, August 23, 2005, Blogger KOB said...

Great post -- nice read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares