Friday, August 19, 2005

Packing: Day 3

Day two was uneventful, the day marred only by a surprise attack by the sharp edge of one idle cardboard box into my thigh. Nothing like a big juicy corrugated cardboard cut. Today has been more successful. Yesterday the roommate, who, from this point forward, I shall call by the unremarkable name "C," and I decided to purchase boxes online, since they were cheap and supposedly they shipped fast. I sent in the order at 5:45pm last night and they arrived at 2pm today.
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's moving time! More boxes.
Good times.

I also bought out the tape aisle at CVS.
Tape time.

As I was going through my things, I came across my photos of The Big Ear - the old radio telescope that was torn down when I was a freshman in college to make way for an effing golf course.
The Big Ear
I used to intern at the observatory nearby so one day we hiked out there to pick up some souvenirs. And by 'souvenirs' I mean pieces of aluminum we tore off the base in the wreckage, just to say we have a part of it. If you're interested in this kind of thing, the Big Ear is most well known for the "Wow!" signal - which was a signal so strong that it flew off the charts for radio waves. For awhile people thought it might be a sign of extraterristrial intelligence, but the signal never repeated. At the time we visited, the site was already abandoned and partly torn-down. We unlocked the small building where the researchers did their work and found this message on one of the chalkboards.
Inside the Big Ear.
It says, "Good Bye Good Friend. Every time you walk upstairs you take from the Universe by extracting Big Bang energy from the Gravitational Force Field. E=h(delta)t. Tim H."

I know, you probably think that's crazy or unbelivablely lame. I thought it was quite moving, having been written by people who spent their lives searching the cosmos for radio waves. It was like walking into a time capsule.

1 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, August 19, 2005, Blogger G. said...

That sounds really cool!

BTW I just had to follow up and let you know that I went back to my abusive spouse (figuratively, for people who haven't been following! Apple is the spouse that gets drunk and beats me!) and bought another goddamn iPod. It hurt so much to do it. I still hate Apple.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares