Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Packing like a Rock Star

Word's in: We got the apartment!

The landlady called today and said she accepted our applications. After talking to around ten moving companies, I think I'm going with Starving Students. I've heard both good and bad, but the fact we're moving in-town lowers the risk of being scammed. All the other movers insisted it would take between six and - seriously - TEN hours to move our shit. Hell no. If my roommate and I did it ourselves it would take ten, but professional movers should be hauling their asses a little more than that. Starving Students had a better price, better time estimate, and the guy sounded the most professional. Will we get screwed? We'll see.

So, now I have a week and a half to pack my stuff. Shall we document it? It's a blog! It was invented to document asinine activites like...packing.

Day One:
Packing - Day 1

Not bad right?

Have you guys seen Rock Star: INXS? That show has knocked me off my feet. I admit I get occasionally hooked on some bad reality shows, but I know full well how terrible they are. But this show - this show kicks some serious ass. The songs are great and these contestants actually have talent (real talent!). Even the bad ones don't make you want to stick sharp things in your ears. This week they tried to trip up one guy by making him sing "Hit Me Baby One More Time" and I swear to god, you would have thought it was some dark ballad by Kurt Cobain or Chris Cornell. Unbelievable. One of the commenters said exactly what I was thinking, "Your performance made me really uncomfortable...because I loved it."

I guess Rock Star also has a "reality" show on the weekend and an elimination show on Wednesday, so maybe those are bad, but the performance show on Tuesday is totally worth the price of admission. The focus is all on their ability to rock and not their clothes or hitting the perfect note or some Simon Cowell critique bullshit. They do critique them - the boys from INXS and Dave Navarro (!) - but it's rarely very harsh, which is refreshing (except every third performance is "the best they've seen on this show so far," though, I have to admit that's often true). Anyway, the point is - these guys are good. Check it out - it's on at 10pm on Tuesdays on CBS. Was that a good enough commercial?

6 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, August 17, 2005, Blogger stag said...

Congrats on the apt!

My roommate & I love Rock Star: INXS. We especially like Mig. And Dave Navarro too. We missed it tonight though. Damn law school.

 
At 1:14 AM, August 17, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Congrats on the apartment! Personally Rock Star: INXS freaks me the hell out -- I haven't watched it but it just seems incredible ghastly to have a reality TV show to replace your singer after the last one, um, HUNG HIMSELF. You know?

 
At 1:24 AM, August 17, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

oh gg - i'm right with you on that one. that whole aspect is on the wrong side of a little fucked up.

also, the impression is that it will be a continuing series, right? are they going to ask Dave Grohl to put Nirvana back together? maybe they'll have to resort to replacing musicians who overdosed or died in airplane crashes.

stag - mig was awesome tonight, he got a "that was the best performance ever" tonight, and well deserved. i love suzie - i don't know how the hell she ended up in the bottom three after that kick-ass version of Losing My Religion. i wonder if only American Idol fans are doing the voting.

 
At 2:16 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger cg-c said...

I'm also lovin' the Rock Star...and I was totally prepared to hate it, as well, because it does seem a little, ah, disrespectful!

And I'm PISSED I forgot about it last night. *sigh*.

 
At 11:30 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Yeah when I had a post about it on my blog somebody joked in the comments about the whole list of bands they could do, who had a singer who died. The Doors, Blind Melon, yes Nirvana, I forget the rest. :)

 
At 2:41 AM, August 18, 2005, Blogger stag said...

I want to know if your movers look like they're hungry when they show up. Ask them where they go to school, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares