Saturday, August 06, 2005

Professional photo organizer

Oh. my. goodness.

My grandma mentioned last week that she's started trying to arrange her photos - spanning back eighty years, because she finally got tired of my grandpa saying he'll do it. For the last twenty-six years. (Apparently, when I was born my grandma noticed their growing collection of photo-filled boxes and my grandpa said, "Oh yeah! I'll put those in an album this weekend so we can make room for Heather's baby pictures." Uh-huh.) I offered to do it for her.

I was telling my mom on the way home from my grandparents this morning, after I picked up all her boxes and boxes of photos, that I have always wanted to start a business, but I need to pin-point what I'm good at. And this is what I'm good at. Organizing people's lives. I spend a good deal of my time at home rearranging things. One christmas break, I did this for my mother - put fourty-some years of photos into albums. On another break, I reorganized (and threw away everything in) her kitchen. I'd love to be a professional organizer. So, combine that with the whole family nostaliga thing I described in the last post, and it's like a dream project!

But of course we never think of these things until just before I leave, so now I have hundreds and hundreds of photos to organize and label and place in books before Wednesday morning. They are incredible though! There are yellowed photos of my grandpa and even my great-grandpa in their 20's in their military uniforms (WWI and WWII). Pictures of my grandma as a toddler. Great stuff.

But, can I finish by Wednesday??

By the way, I really enjoyed everyone's personal 'stories' in the comments of the last post. I'd love hear more if you want to share, here or on your own blog.

6 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, August 06, 2005, Anonymous shell said...

Why Wed?

 
At 8:21 PM, August 06, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

I leave Cali Wednesday to go back to DC.

 
At 6:49 PM, August 07, 2005, Anonymous Roonie said...

I'm good at organizing too! I would be willing to go into business with you...I think we'd make a great duo, especially since who ELSE runs an organizing business? Okay, anyways, um...I think that's all I wanted to say, right? Lemme think...I think so. Oh, I also wanted to say that I wish my mom would LET me throw things out, since our house is, oh, SO messy. But she won't.

 
At 9:38 PM, August 07, 2005, Blogger Eve said...

If possible, it would probably be really cool to also somehow label all the people in those old photographs. Future generations would thank you for it. We took for granted how my Nana would always point everyone out in photos, and now that she's passed away, we have no idea who all the people are. Old photos are so neat.

 
At 3:17 AM, August 08, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

roonie - i am SO into opening a business with someone. professional organizers, by definition almost, have to go into people's private spaces, and i hesistate going into strangers home's by myself.

eve - i'm leaving lots of blank space for my grandma to write in the albums. i've never met my grandparent's brothers and sisters (and they both have 6-7) so i never know who they are.

 
At 4:20 PM, February 09, 2010, Anonymous Maureen said...

I know this was a WAY long time ago blog, but it was linked to "professional photo organizer" when I googled it, so I'm responding. I actually do this for a living - a FULL TIME living and have for the past 20 years - helping people orgazine their photos and now digital images and create photo books or traditional albums. I'd be interested in talking to you about this if you are still interested in doing this as a job. I train all over the USA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares