Thursday, August 11, 2005

Un-fucking-believable

Seriously: un-fucking-believable.

Okay first, I'm back in DC. Bleh. I hate leaving Cali, my family, the sunshine, but there it is.

So after sleeping in this morning, I called Apple and they informed me that my new iBook was in fact sitting in their store awaiting my arrival. Off I went, in the east coast humidity that makes me feel asthmatic, on the metro up to Bethesda. I get there around 3:30 and tell the guy in the neon green Apple shirt that I'm there to pick up my computer. He goes into the back and says, "Actually, they're still transferring your information over to the new one." Me: "Oh, okay, well, how much longer." Green Shirt: "Well...maybe 45 minutes?" So, fine, whatever, at least I get all my old information right?

I went to the Barnes and Noble down the block and browsed the shelves. I may have mentioned before that I have self-banned myself from bookstores because I always buy something, and I already have a stack of books here waiting to be read. I checked out the new releases and purchased "The Life of Pi" and "The Task of This Translator," a collection of short stories that sounded good. I went back to the Apple store forty-five minutes later. Green Shirt checks in the back and comes back with an apologetic look: "Um, I'm afraid it's going to take awhile longer." Me: "How much longer?" Green Shirt: "It's not even half done yet." Me: "Come on, I ordered the computer four-weeks ago, why isn't this done yet?" Green Shirt: Answer non-responsive. Me: "Well why didn't you tell me this when I called today right before I left??" Green Shirt: Answer non-responsive.

So he took my cell number and said he'd call me when they were done. I went back to B&N, bought a frap, and sat down with This Translator. One hundred pages into the book (it's really good by the way) I realize it's 7pm, so I call them. It's done! they tell me. Well, thanks for calling me, fuckers. See, giving that guy my cell phone number would only have been helpful if these people were half-way competent, meaning that when this guy got off work at 6pm, he would have told the next guy to call me. Unlikely, I should have known. I pick up the thing and try not to get robbed on the way home, since they don't have any big store bags so I have to carry a big box that says "Brand New iBook G4! Steal me!" on the metro.

I get home and boot the sucker up. Wait...who's the sucker? ME!! Before I left home to get the computer, I had planned to boot it up at the store to make sure it worked fine, but since they were doing the harddrive transfer I assumed it was on and working fine. I FELL FOR IT AGAIN!! Of course they gave me a piece of shit that didn't work. It booted up, but the f-ing trackpad wouldn't respond, which meant I could do zilch without a mouse. I manually rebooted, which further complicated the problem, since, for whatever reason, it went to the log-in page this time and wouldn't accept my username/password. Reboot again. Same thing.

So I'm furious and call Apple Support to voice my displeasure. I got some stuttering fool who didn't really know what he was doing and the longer we spoke and he realized he didn't know what was wrong, the more he would stutter. Well, not really stutter, so much as repeat every word ten zillion times. I have nothing against stutterers, but when I've been on hold for 45 minutes before talking to you, on my millionth call to Mac, after my entire world of problems with them SHOULD HAVE BEEN RESOLVED, and you don't even know what the HELL is wrong this time, I cannot listen to: "Okay, okay, okay, um, uhhhhh, see the - see the - see the menu? Um, um, um, click file, yeah, click file, um, yeah let's see, let's see, um."

AHHHHH!!

So what did we end up doing?? RE-INSTALLING MAC OS! Which means there was NO reason for them to be transferring my information all fucking day, was there? I had to archive all my files and am now retrieving them, which looks like it's going to take about two hours, after the last two hours it took just to install the OS. After that's done, they'll all just be sitting on my desktop, so I'm going to have to move them back where they should be. For the love of all that is holy, I have had it up to HERE with these fools at Apple.

I hate Apple. HATE.

Oh, I have a funny story about a bitch I encountered in the bathroom at LAX, but I'll save that for the next post.

3 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, August 12, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Yeah. Um, yeah. I hear you. Having had my iPod replaced 5 times in the past 2 years (one of those times they gave me a replacement unit that died within one week), I have to choke on my own vomit every time I am forced to go in and look at the sign that says "Genius Bar."

Well, you inspired a post that's been in my head for awhile (Link). I think you will really appreciate the abused wife analogy. It's honestly how I feel. I honestly have never had worse customer service from any company, ever.

 
At 5:43 PM, August 12, 2005, Anonymous rebecca said...

:( Stupid Apple.

Eric almost took a job with Genius Bar. I'm glad he didn't, b/c then I would have to hit him once tonight just for you.

Btw, Life of Pi is one of my favorite books of the last couple years. it is pretty gruesome though.

 
At 5:26 AM, August 13, 2005, Blogger Eve said...

I've heard great things about Life of Pi.

And I've heard pretty sucky things about Apple. Sorry about all that you're going through - that really stinks.

I've been plagued with technology problems for the last few years. I keep getting stuck in that defective new product, replaced with a "refurbished" product that still doesn't work, replaced with another "like new" product that still doesn't work, until I keep getting jerked around until the warranty expires. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares