Monday, August 15, 2005

The Ventura County Fair: In Pictures

I finally got my photos uploaded and semi-organized. I'm going out of order because frankly, the fair photos are way cooler. So I guess that means the rest will be kind of a let down, heh. Who wants to see photos of my pen collection for the bar exam anyway? I've spent all day researching movers and jobs, and I feel like my eyes are going to fall out of their sockets. I hope you enjoy my photo-story more than I enjoyed my morning.

First, we started out at the barnyard. There was a serious lack of sheep and an overabundance of goats and pigs, but I guess they didn't ask me before they invited the 4H girls to participate.
Pigs in Love
These nuns were all over the place. You didn't know nuns love the fair?
Nuns at the Fair
I took about 3000 pictures of this girl trying to pet the horse. Every single time, the horse would freak and then she would squeal and run away. Over and over. Finally they learned to love each other.
Barnyard petting
I was terribly disappointed when we got to Uncle Leo's indoor barnyard, where the bunny competition is usually held, only to find freakish birds of prey instead. I also got a lot of awesome looks while I shoved my camera in every birds beak. It was hard to get a good shot because I felt it was too harsh to creep up on the poor creatures and then flash lightning in their faces, but there wasn't a lot of light, so many of the pictures are a bit blurry. Here are a couple of the better ones:
Strange Birds - Part 1
Due to the combination of crispness and crazy hen stare, I LOVE this photo.
Strange Birds - Part 2
This bird came directly from the dinosaur age - no evolution needed.
Strange Birds - Part 3
Bunnies! In the next barnyard over, there was a big cage with a huge momma pig and her 15 piglets, and above them, a momma rabbit and her four babies. Not just any baby bunnies, but baby Mini Rexes - which is the kind my late bunny Addy was. They have the softest fur of all the bunnies in the land. Is this getting too cutesy for you? Me too. The picture's blurry because they were very far away and I couldn't use the flash.
Baby Bunnies!
Sheep! They were hiding one after-all. She looks kind of mean, though.
Sheep: Through a Fence
Next year, I want to be the person in charge of the preserve display case:
Maze of Mason Jars
I think a man judged the green beans.
Best Beans By Size
There were a ton of these jars of green stuff. Is this who the producers of Ghostbusters called?
Grand prize for plasma.
I can't believe you weren't at the fair - even Wonder Woman was there!
Wonder Woman Brings It
Then we walked around the carnivale for awhile, to see all the crazy people lose their wallets on the rides.
Crazy people.
And then lose their lunch.
More crazy people.
This is more like it! Ride the wave, little sister!
Now THAT'S my style.
If you can say no to this face, you're a bad person.
Carnie
Who doesn't love giant monkeys? My mom kept trying to get me to win one for her. Don't lie, Mom. See the babies on his shoulders? They need a home. With you.
Big Ape
These guys were in the "exotic bird" section. Or was it "aluminum bird"?
Then we went to Florida.
Next, the horticultural building. They do some awesome landscaping competitions with some really beautiful plants and flowers. One guy gave my mom an orchid flower. Hot.
Horticulture Love
Next up, the agricultural building, with vegetable-philia seeping right out on the floor. Here's the "I love root vegetables" exhibit.
Carrot-mania
And for the Grand Finale!
Weird Vegetable.
Yeah, I don't know what it is either, but it's AWESOME.

4 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, August 15, 2005, Blogger stag said...

A guy gave your mom an orchid. He wanted to be, you know, "with your mom." Definitely Hot.

Great pics, and good commentary too!

 
At 10:41 PM, August 15, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Oh ho ho. Stag, you wisecracker.

 
At 1:45 AM, August 16, 2005, Blogger cg-c said...

LOVED it! Especially the nuns and Wonder Woman. Who wouldn't love those?!?

 
At 12:05 PM, August 16, 2005, Blogger G. said...

I love the pictures! Also, I think the last one might be a Buddha's Hand:

http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20031218buddhashand1218fnp5.asp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares