Wednesday, August 17, 2005

You want to know landlord-tenant law? I'll tell you landlord-tenant law.

I spoke to my apartment manager today about my move-out date, so I could reserve the loading elevator and tell them for sure that I wouldn't be renewing my lease. Just like I suspected, the woman said definitively, "You need to give us 30 days notice before the end of your lease if you're going to move."

First of all, no I don't. Would you like to see my flashcard on "Term of Years" leases?

Second, I specifically negotiated a nine-month lease when my last one expired in November, because I knew I'd be moving (and I figured - correctly - that I could get a cheaper rent that way). That's what I told her and it was enough to shut her up, but I have a feeling they'll bug me about it later, too.

We're scheduled to move the morning of Thursday, August 25th. I'm making my "vacate date" on the 26th, because I'm crossing my fingers that it won't take more than one day to clean up this place. There is a whole list of fees on the back of the "move-out notice" form she just gave me, and they'll charge me $120 if I don't clean the carpets. Now, do you think it will cost me less than that if I do it myself? Should I just let them go to the hassle and let them charge me? I'm considering it. I'm glad I bought actual 'paste' toothpaste last week, because I've got some serious holes to cover in my walls.

3 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger G. said...

If you rent one of those "Rug Doctors" they have at the supermarket, I think it's only $20 or $25, you have to buy one of the special bottles of solution for it too which I think is $10 or $15. It's kind of a hassle but it works really well, even around here with four animals bringing their dirty feet in every day so that when the carpet cleaning water comes out it's practically black. Yuck.

BTW you probably know this already but take all kinds of pictures after you have the place all cleaned. Then if they try to keep part of your deposit you can take them to small claims court and whip out all the pictures of how everything was perfect. I've done it, it's actually kind of fun.

 
At 3:42 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Oh god, i LOVE small claims court.

I'll check out the rug doctor, thanks.

 
At 5:16 PM, August 18, 2005, Blogger Snubligent said...

My god. I hate landlords so very, very much. When I retire I kind of want to spend my time doing pro-bono work for student tenants. That would be the most satisfying legal career I could imagine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares