Friday, August 05, 2005

Your house is worth a million bazillion dollars.

The doorbell rang last night and it was the Remax man (a local realtor). He was pretty cute. He asked me if I noticed the house one street over that was just put on the market. I said no, so he said, "Okay, well it's going for $669,000 and I was....[cue me, bending over laughing]...I know, crazy right?" Oh my god, what dimension am I living in where the houses in my neighborhood are pushing three-quarters of a million dollars? The market has officially gone f'ing insane. I mean, let's be honest these aren't nice houses. All the houses in the four street surrounding area are cookie-cutter, one-story, three bed two baths with small backyards. Ridiculous.

In high school, I had some friends in the neighborhood, and it always freaked me out to walk into a house that looked exactly like mine but had completely different furnishings. We rent, because we couldn't even afford this place when we moved in, and have an awesome landlady who lives in Texas and hasn't raised our rent in fifteen years. My mom always said, even if we had the money, we'd never waste it on buying this place. I mean, there are cracks in some of the walls from either the foundation shifting or too many earthquakes. (There was an earthquake when we came to the house to sign the lease, ha.) Not to mention that every single night there is some ginormous spider in my bathroom and have to wake my mom up to kill it. At least, that's why I would never buy this house, haha.

It seems that Ventura County is the new hot spot in California. Even cities like Camarillo, which were kind of ghost towns when I was a kid, are booming and busting over with people scrambling to get in. VTA is on the coast, so I guess it's super-prime these days. Our house is also positioned between a high school, middle school, and a really good magnet elementry school, so I can see the attraction to this neighborhood (it's why we moved here), but still. 669K? I am officially, utterly appalled.

5 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, August 05, 2005, Anonymous shell said...

Yep. Ventura County estates are real hot this year, so are the over-polluted places more inland. Houses are spring up left and right (even reaching beyond Fontanta - and everyone knows that's definitely part of the desert.)

I don't even know how people could afford buying a house in Southern Cal.

 
At 4:07 AM, August 06, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

I know, it really is kind of nuts. I wonder if the housing bubble really will "burst" as they're saying. I should find a job at a bankruptcy firm.

 
At 6:51 PM, August 07, 2005, Anonymous Roonie said...

Damnit. I'll never own in SoCal!

 
At 9:43 PM, August 07, 2005, Blogger Eve said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:44 PM, August 07, 2005, Blogger Eve said...

It kills me when people are paying 4-500,000 to own in San Bernardino. It's San Bernardino, people, for goodness sake!!!

CA home prices are absolutely ridiculous. Some friends bought a "condo" [2 br apartment] about 4 years ago for $308 - sold it last week for $450 - then bought a single-story 3br house for $680. That was in NoCal. Here in SoCal, unless you want to live in the SBC [mmm, luv me some rattlesnake!], you're def looking at 1/2 a mil for even a condo.

I'll just be keeping my cardboard box, thankyouverymuch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares