Sunday, September 11, 2005

Good news!

I'm officially moral, or so says the California Bar Examiners. I got my notice that says they have investigated and accepted my moral character application. Exciting stuff.

Second, my friend had a dream last night that I passed the bar exam. I thanked her for her unconscious confidence in me. I'm hoping that she actually has undiscovered psychic powers.

Would you like to see my backyard? Sure you do! It was so covered in weeds we contemplated dropping some agent orange, but I gave in and went to the hardware store for some gardening gloves and a cultivator and dug in. Here I'll chronicle my journey from a yard ruled by weeds to a half-paved, half-garden backyard of joy.

Here's what it looked like before (actually I started plucking a few before I thought to take a picture):
In the beginning...

Then I got on my hands and knees and pulled those bastards out - I even found real plants hidden in the midst:
Stage two

Now the weeds are going to sit there until we get our rubbish bin. C and I have decided to put stones on the front two-thirds (the part closer to the camera) so we can have a place for chairs and a small grill, then the back part will be a small garden. We'll probably transplant a few of those fern-like things (does anyone know what they are?) to the front yard, and the rest will line the back wall against the storage shed. When we looked at the house, there was ivy against that fence on the right, but then the owners tore it down before we signed the lease! Why! I hate ivy, but I hate that parking lot more. We're going to put up some of those green mesh tarps and start cultivating some morning glories for the long-term.

If anyone has some plant ideas for the garden, pass them my way. I know nothing about plants, especially on the east coast where there are actually seasons you have to plan around. We're considering veggies for the back, though, and flowers for the front yard.

Alright, time for bed, and more work tomorrow!

3 Comments:

At 1:23 AM, September 12, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Congrats!!

 
At 10:36 PM, September 15, 2005, Blogger jm said...

Garden suggestions: anything that smells fabulous. Especially jasmine...nothing better than a jasmine-scented night.

Congrats on your fine, upstanding moral character. :)

 
At 1:39 PM, September 27, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

You will not believe this, but I still haven't done my moral character section...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares