Friday, September 02, 2005

You want, what?

Tomorrow is crocheted shih tzu, Part 2. C and I rented another SUV so we can finally get the furniture needed to put this house in order. We desparately need shelving units in the kitchen and I need a wardrobe and bookcase for my room. Then we can get the last of our boxes unpacked and all the crap off the floor.

A number of my law school friends have offered to sell me their furniture for my new place. What's up with that? If you're a starving artist trying to make rent for your 10sq ft studio in Soho, then okay, that's when you sell your worldly possessions for twenty bucks here, thirty bucks there. But you're starting next month as a first year associate for $125K and you're charging me, your friend for three years, $25 for a used shelf? Seriously? You don't think that's a bit...I don't know, rude?

Before I left Columbus, I worked in a fairly large office building, so a few weeks before I moved I left a note on the receptionist's desk listing the myriad of furniture I was hunting for, since when I moved to Columbus from college I literally had nothing but a desk. I thought maybe someone would have a chair they were trying to get rid of, or something like that. The response was overwhelming. I ended up getting a house full of furniture, including this awesome breakfast bar a friend made by hand but no longer had the room for, tons of kitchen appliances (pots, pans, coffee maker, toaster, even towels), a living room chair...I mean, the list goes on and on, and not one of them would accept a dime. They were my friends and they no longer needed the things they were giving away; why would they charge me? Some of them even thanked me for taking it off their hands so they wouldn't have to have someone else haul it away or make trips out of their way to Goodwill.

Ugh, anyway. The same person who offered to sell her shelf to me is coming over to get all the boxes I used for moving. The boxes and supplies that C and I paid around $90 for two weeks ago. I just don't really get the whole charging your friends for your used things. I'd probably sell them to a stranger on craigslist, but c'mon. If it were a really expensive piece of furniture, like a nice couch, of course I'd expect my friend to charge me, but a cheap shelving unit? I'd rather just buy a new one then suffer the awkward moment of commerce between friends.

6 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, September 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katrina news sources
As the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast struggles to recover and New Orleans races to evacuate its citizens from the peril of rising waters, an extraordinary number of searchers have turned to the Web for breaking ...
Hi, I was just checking out blogs and surfing through some and found you! I like your blog. I will book mark it and come back soon. If you are interested, go see my horse figurine related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.horse figurine

 
At 2:38 PM, September 02, 2005, Anonymous jake said...

I'm with you on this. I can't ever imagine looking at something that is of no use to me, and asking my FRIENDS for money to TAKE it from me.

oh well, i guess some people just don't think that way.

I'm not sure what kind of shelving you are looking for, and honestly i don't even know how much it costs, but the elfa shelving units are really cool. I would put them in my house if I needed shelves. hope tomorrow works out to be better than last time.

 
At 4:00 PM, September 02, 2005, Blogger Kelly said...

Um, a horse figurine site? Some people have too much time on their hands.

I think you should charge her for the boxes then. Tit for tat. :)

 
At 12:44 AM, September 03, 2005, Blogger cg-c said...

That's some serious CRAP that your "friend" (not a very nice one) is charging you for the shelf. I would tell her that it's crap, adding how much you spent on the boxes and how because she's your FRIEND, you're not charging her.

But really, that's just a load of hooey.

 
At 4:11 AM, September 04, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

Dude, a friend doesn't make you buy their old stuff if they're just giving it away anyway. If you saw it at their house and you wanted it and then they agreed to sell it to you (say, because, they wanted it but would give it to you if the price was right), then okay. I mean, I just handed over my queen-sized bed to my friend when I left school. Hey, she wanted it, and I was gonna trash it - why would I charge her? That's some bunk shit right there.

 
At 11:58 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger shell said...

What's a "landland"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares