Friday, November 18, 2005

Everyone has benefitted from the bread slicer.

Have any of my blogger friends out there noticed a huge spike in hits the past couple of weeks. It's like right before the exam, when my hits quadrupled, but I guess people are just freaking out about results now. I get tons of google hits for "cal bar results," and strangely, a lot of hits for "twotimingthecosmos," which means someone (lots of people?) are looking for me. Hello!

I'm trying to chill. I tried to sleep in, to no great avail, now I'm eating chili con queso my mom sent me before I head off to see Walk the Line. Ohmygod I love Joaquin. Hoo...okay. Then i'm going to the gym to blow off some steam, then I'll come home and watch some netflix. Oh, and I have a bottle of Camarere wine I bought in Argentina three years ago that I'm finally going to pop. I don't know what I've been waiting for, and I figure I might as well enjoy a nice bottle of wine while my future is decided for me. I corked a half-bottle of wine I brought home from Greece for me and my roommate's boyfriend yesterday, but holy crap was it bad. Awful. I shudder thinking about it. I might have left it in the sun, but it was pretty rancid. Too bad, we fed it to the garbage disposal.

In other news, I went to the hill yesterday to try to hawk my wares. It didn't go too badly, I had the informational interview with the Senate placement office with the very nice lady there, who then put my resume/application in the in-house server, so it is now available for Senator's not wanting to advertising publicly for positions. I also went to the House office, but they don't do it the same way. You can pick up their listings for the week, which they don't put online or anywhere else (which makes it kind of difficult to get, unless you have time to trek to the House every week) and left my resume in a box which the lady there said no one every looks in, nor do they pass the resume's out to anyone. So, that's useful. I was about to leave when I realized I had one resume left, and I should really go to this one Reps office. My old boss at the statehouse spoke to her about helping me find a job and I haven't really heard anything back. I hate cold-calling, and I knew I wouldn't be able to go door to door just yet. But I had an in here. So I literally stood outside the Raymond Building for ten minutes (in the newly frigid November weather) trying to decide if I should suck it up and go. I went. Turns out it was a great idea. The Congresswoman wasn't there, not like I expected to get a one-on-one, but the front desk lady was genuinely nice and very helpful. I explaned who I was and what I was doing, and said I knew they were busy but could I leave a resume with her? She said of course, that she'd definitly let the Congresswoman know I stopped by. She asked me if I'd stopped by the placement office and I casually mentioned I had but it was too bad they didn't make their listings public, because I normally wouldn't be able to come down every week to pick it up. She looked at my resume and said, "this is your current address right? why don't I just mail it to you every week, is that alright with you?" Are you kidding me? Of course it's alright! And it's so nice, I didn't even expect that kind of help from a stranger. That's what we call Midwestern hospitality people. So for that reason alone I'm really glad I stopped by.

Alright, I've got to get going. Maybe my CalBlogger friends will be around at 9pm (or 6pm for those of you actually on the west coast) to celebrate/commisserate.

2 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, November 18, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

I love how people are searching for "calbar results" and ending up on your blog. Do they think that you have some kind of edge on the notification? Maybe that you have an in with the State of CA? I love it.

And I love you. Good luck. From the bottom of my heart.

 
At 4:44 PM, November 18, 2005, Blogger G. said...

GOOD LUCK! T MINUS 3 hours 17 minutes!!!!! ;)

At least hopefully your workday is over by now... I'm still sitting here in my office pretending to be able to concentrate!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares