Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Hold this cloth so I don't get blood on your sweater...

I've been getting a ton of google hits lately. There are the string of usuals, "CalBar," "Mariska Hargitay," and "spanikopita" (which I get allthe time, no joke.) For awhile there I was coming up on the first google page for the first two, which is funny considering I talked about Mariska in half a sentence like five months ago. I'm sure this post will knock me up there again.

Then there's "blogs heather in dc bar exam." Well done, you found me. And my personal favorite: "vinyl logs." Everyone needs some.

So I managed to give blood finally. I used to go all the time in college, but then, like the rest of my life that isn't directly connected to the law or drinking, I forgot about it for awhile. I tried to give a few weeks back (the Red Cross started hounding me after Katrina), but lo and behold, the little blood drop rose up in the blue liquid. Low iron. I went back again this time, after beefing up on my spinach and cutting back the caffeine, but still! I'm not sure what it is with me and my iron count, but I clearly need to be taking mass quantities of vitamins or something. Luckily, they spun the blood (after squeezing every last drop out of my finger) and I was just above the limit. My blood guy didn't actually say what I wrote in the title, but it was the first time I'd ever had someone put a cloth on my side before he stuck me. At first I didn't realize why I was holding it there, then: ew. Splatter. Luckily there was none, though it turns out I'm quite the bleeder. I filled the pouch in less than 10 minutes and then took nearly that long for my arm to stop bleeding while I held it in the air. So, boys and girls, go give a pint, will you? It feels good to give! And stings, just a little.

1 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, November 08, 2005, Blogger G. said...

For some reason I can't give blood because it makes me pass out. The first time, I was in high school and had driven down to the local Red Cross office, and after sitting there eating cookies for 45 minutes afterward I was like, this is ridiculous, I've got to get going. According to everyone else, I walked out to the parking lot, suddenly turned around and sort of waved my hand, and then hit the ground.

I tried it several more times and it was always the same, except those times I had the good sense to just go ahead and lie on the cot for 2 hours until I could stand up. Which wasn't too bad, because it was always at the bloodmobile that came to my office, and I had a good excuse for why I was lying in the bloodmobile watching TV for 2 hours during the middle of the workday.

Spanakopita.... YUMYUMYUMYUM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares