Friday, December 09, 2005

Ask and ye shall receive...

Guess what I found in the mail when I got home last night. Yup, my letter from CalBar. It's a good thing my credit card bills aren't taking three weeks to forward to me. Not that I was going to go to the ceremonies, but since I only got the information after they'd all taken place, I couldn't even if I had wanted to. Also, did everyone else enjoy that return envelope for your oath card that was folded in half inside the packet, with the words "Please Do Not Fold" printed on it? Priceless.

Did anyone pay the extra $180 to get sworn in with the district court? I'm going to have to start panhandling or selling drugs just to pay for all this shit. (But don't worry, then I can take the "substance abuse" class for one of my 10 hours of mandatory CLE.) I'm sure each one of those classes costs money, too. And a certificate for $68? I can hang it in my cubicle at my temp job. Classy. And...ironic.

And I'm going to have to pay NCBE to transfer my MBE scores to DC (on top of the $650 DC application fee). Let's discuss those scores for a minute. According to California rules, bar passers are not told their exam score, and I can live with that. I am curious, but I also really don't want to know if I only passed by half a point, you know? However, because of this rule, I just have to cross my fingers and hope that I scored over 133 on the MBE, which is what DC requires. If I didn't, which is entirely posssible - I knew as soon as I left the exam that if I passed, it would be because of my essays and NOT the MBE - then I'm going to pay the DC bar $650 to tell me I'm not good enough. I can get people to tell me that for free, you know? If I knew my MBE score, I would know whether or not to bother trying. Can you say "racket"? I knew you could.

7 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, December 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is actually away to find out if you meet the minimum first. you call NCBEX or something, it only costs about 20 dollars. but if you meet the minimum that is 20 dollars you are out and could have applied to the DC fee.

 
At 11:42 AM, December 09, 2005, Anonymous eve said...

I'm so tempted to try to waive into DC, just to see whether I got that magical 133 on the MBE. I feel like if I knew how on God's green earth it came to be that I passed, I could enlighten bar-takers everywhere for a million years...

But it's like, what, 650 to apply and 400 to get the scores transferred? I don't care *that* much.

Oh, and BTW, having the same dilemma about where to get admitted and where to skip, because of the $$$...

 
At 11:45 AM, December 09, 2005, Anonymous eve said...

Ooooh, I think Anonymous is right:
https://secure.ncbex2.org/php/score_transfer/resources/mbe_info.pdf

Hmm, now to spend the $25 just to satisfy my morbid curiousity...

 
At 1:15 PM, December 09, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Wow, even I was too cheap to pay $68 for the "fancy" certificate! You are livin in style!!

 
At 1:25 PM, December 09, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

oops, did i gave the impression that i bought it? i have no intention of doing so, and if people want to know i'm a lawyer they can a) ask me or b) check out the "esquire" on my office door...when i get one. :) hell, i still haven't framed my law degree yet!

 
At 7:10 PM, December 09, 2005, Blogger shell said...

I just can't believe the Bar wants more $! As if law school itself isn't costly enough...*sigh* Shouldn't the registration fee for the bar exam cover all this in the first place?

 
At 11:30 PM, December 11, 2005, Blogger maisnon said...

No shell - because that would make sense.

So, um, Heather - could you post about how one goes about waiving into the DC bar? I'm thinking about it, but haven't found the magical web page that explains it all clearly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares