Monday, December 26, 2005

Card carrying member of the "What the Fuck??" club

Christmas vacay has been pretty darn nice so far. The weather is up and down, sunny and overcast, clear and raining, but it hasn't gone below 50, so I can't complain. Yesterday my grandparents came over for a lovely dinner that my mom prepared and I got some nice things, although, the bulk of my gifts were the check my grandparents gave me for my DC bar waiver and shopping at the sales with my mom. In fact, I got a kick-ass winter jacket and a new pair of boots today. Woo! Anyway, we picked up some videos and plan to stay in for the rest of the day.

I did want to share a little story from Saturday, though. My mom and I just finished picking up some last minute gifts and decided to stop by Foster Freeze for some corn burritos (fucking awesome). It's one of those places that used to be a car-hop place in the 50's, where you park and the waitresses come out to you. Now it's a walk-up and there are picnic tables outside for you to enjoy your burgers, sodas, and chocolate-dipped ice cream cones.

So my mom and I picked up our corn burritos at the counter and started chowing down at a table. I had kind of noticed that there was a family next to us, just a man and a stroller and a 10 year old boy enjoying a cone. A few minutes later my mom catches my eye, tilts her head towards their table and whispers, "Look." I look over at the table and there is a fucking handgun on the table in front of the boy.
Does this look like a fake gun?
Now, it had to be a toy, I mean, it had to be a toy, because it was set down in a manner that the little boy must have put it there. But it looked like a real honest-to-god, Jack-Ryan-issue, bang-you're-dead, semi-automatic weapon.

Listen. Guns make me nervous. I've never fired one and I'm not entirely sure I've been in the same room with one that wasn't strapped to a police officers leg. (Um, except the metro.) I certainly don't think I could ever have one in my house, and the people who do seem to be totally ignorant of the dangers. Don't people know that if you keep a weapon in your house, it's much more likely that a criminal will use it against you, than vice versa? That kids will ALWAYS find a way to load it and kill themselves or a playmate? That you greatly increase the risk of someone in your household committing suicide with it because they have easy access to a deadly weapon?

I find it utterly appalling and totally irresponsible to give an eight-year-old a real-looking weapon and let him play with it in public. It looked absolutely real. When we got up to leave and I could see the tip of the gun, only then did I see the small orange tip coming out the barrel.
A good way to get your kid killed.
If I was a police officer and saw this kid at night, and he was swinging that gun around, do you think I'd wait until the gun was pointing directly at me to fire? I wouldn't have seen that orange "I'm a toy" flag until that kid was bleeding out in the OR.


Update: Oh look.

2 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, December 26, 2005, Blogger maisnon said...

There's a Foster's Freeze about 2 blocks from my apartment - I'll have to check that 'ish out.

Re: real-looking fake guns, super bad idea!!

 
At 5:08 PM, December 28, 2005, Blogger Saucy Lil' Tart said...

Guns make me queasy, too. I thought this post was going to end badly, that's how weird I feel around guns.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares