Friday, December 09, 2005

Counselor at Law

I've heard the moment of truth is rather anti-climatic; boy was that ever accurate. Since the company I'm temping for does real estate, there are a bunch of notaries in the building. My boss called her friend in Legal, who said she'd be happy to help me out. When I got to her cube she said, "So, what is this for again?"

"Um...it's my attorney oath for the State of California."
"Okay, I don't really do this [notarize] very often...do I sign here?"
"NO! No...I think that's where I sign. You sign here."
"Okay...right."

Then she pulled out her stamp and pressed it in. Aren't I, like, supposed to say an oath when I take my oath? I guess not. It's a good thing I practiced saying it aloud in the elevator on the way down, so I consider that my official oath-speaking. At least she didn't charge me.

I considered not doing it today, because I knew it would be completely non-special and...I'm a little OCD when it comes to ceremony, I like things to be perfect because it's a good omen of things to come. Okay, I know that's bull, but OCD isn't logical, my friends. I forgot my chapstick this morning, which means my lips have been burning since, oh, 8:30am, I'm a little hungover, and I kind of hate the shoes I'm wearing right now. They're not horrific, but I wasn't thinking about size when I bought them, so they're too big and make my feet look huge. All of this is very important to my future career as an attorney.

Then around noon I realized that this is the perfect time to get sworn in. My journey to become a lawyer has been fraught with hot burning agony, copious amounts of alcohol, more than a few fashion mishaps, and incompetent strangers who wield my destiny in their hands. So, why should the final moment be any different, right? That, and since I finally got the card today, I didn't want to waste anymore time getting an attorney temp job so I don't actually have to give the CA and DC bars my first-born in lieu of dues.

Sincerely,
Heather, Esquire

9 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, December 09, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Congrats!

 
At 7:22 PM, December 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my DC swearing in by a notary was anticlimatic too and involved me muttering the oath quickly under my breath just so that I would know I said it with a few of my coworkers looking on giggling. it felt especially lame because I had just found out that another one of my coworkers had gotten sworn in by a Supreme Ct justice that she had met once in law school (she just wrote to him, sent him the picture of meeting him from law school and asked and he unbelievably said yes). however, the really exciting part is that you passed the bar and get to be a lawyer now, so focus on that!

 
At 3:24 AM, December 10, 2005, Anonymous eve said...

Yay, congratulations!!
I want to know if *anyone* had a wonderful, special, fabulous, non-letdown swearing-in. All of ours were lame in their own special way. :)

 
At 7:51 AM, December 10, 2005, Blogger Chai said...

CONGRATS!!! When can we go out and buy each other drinks??

 
At 9:05 AM, December 10, 2005, Anonymous Kirk Diogu said...

so, what do you want to do anyway? i get the sense that you don't want to practice law in the traditional sense. and maybe since you took the ca bar and live in dc you never intend to appear in dc courts or sign documents in dc - b/c you'd need the dc license for that.

do you want to work for a public interest organization? if so, what kind?

 
At 4:27 AM, December 11, 2005, Blogger cg-c said...

Yay! Congrats!

 
At 6:10 AM, December 11, 2005, Blogger Saucy Lil' Tart said...

Congratulations, my beautiful friend. You're going to be one of the best new lawyers to come out of the July 2005 bar exam yet. I can't wait - "oh, the places you'll go!"

Hugsies!

 
At 11:29 PM, December 11, 2005, Blogger maisnon said...

Congrats, Heather, Esq.

Hmmm... that makes you sound like not quite Heather, but in the style of Heather. I guess I am, in turn, maisnon, esq.

 
At 3:03 PM, July 14, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bahaha mine too. Did it in front of a notary who insisted the bar's oath form wasn't right, so in addition to stamping the card she attached a big notary form to the thing. I had to ask, "Should I take the oath now?" while her dog who was laying on the floor next to me looked at me quizzically. She said, "Oh, uh, yeah."

Had to cram the card and her attached notary crap all in the envelope to send it back.

Incompetent strangers with one's destiny in their hands. So very true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares