Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Danger Mouse!

I got down to the platform at the U Street metro this morning and took a seat on a bench. Since the bench facing my train was full, I sat down facing the line going the opposite direction.

A train barrels into the station in front of me while I'm opening my newspaper. The doors open. I lift my paper up high so I can flip the sheets backward to reveal the crossword puzzle, and as I do this, I can see the very bottom of the train doors and a man's legs as he's disembarking. And a mouse.

A mouse.

Also disembarking the train. I guess this was his stop. My arms freeze as the tiny thing jumps the inch and a half to the platform and becomes wildly confused as the doors close and the train begins to whoosh away. The little guy sticks his head down towards the tracks, then thinks better of the sucide jump and starts running down the edge of the platform towards the escalators.

I'm not sure what I would have done if he had straight towards me, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out.

5 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, December 21, 2005, Blogger Saucy Lil' Tart said...

I think that's kinda cute. I mean, seeing a mouse in public is far less terrifying than seeing one in the comfort of your own home, nestled in between the saltines and the Goldfish crackers, don't you think?

 
At 1:17 PM, December 21, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Yeah, even I have to admit he was kinda cute. It was just totally surreal; he was just kickin' it on the platform.

 
At 7:41 PM, December 21, 2005, Blogger Saucy Lil' Tart said...

He had to get to work, too! Maybe he takes classes at American or something. Maybe he's an international mouse and is here doing foreign policy research! Oh yes! Or maybe he went looking for the esteemed Fievel! Oh, the things my imagination will do to me...

 
At 11:21 AM, December 22, 2005, Anonymous shell said...

???I've never seen a mouse on DC metro before. What line was it on?

 
At 11:26 AM, December 22, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

That would be the green line at U Street.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares