Thursday, December 08, 2005

I do believe I have a problem on my hands...

And I don't mean listening to my cube-mate talk about how she wishes people wouldn't call the police when she hits her children in public. Or how I hang up on every single person I try to transfer. Both of those are problems, but not the ones I'm concerned about at the moment.

This is what concerns me: I never received a letter from CalBar about my bar results. At first I figured it would just take longer, because my mail is still being forwarded from my last address. Yes, I did try to change my address with CalBar, but they screwed around with me so long I gave up. (For the last attempt, I mailed the required info to the woman doing my character application and received it back unopened with her name crossed out and the words "not at this address" written next to it. It was the same address I used all summer.) But I digress. I still have not received the letter, even though I'm still getting mail forwarded.

To those who received it, was there a note on it saying "please do not forward"? Cause that would just be mean. I haven't looked into the problem seriously, because I'm afraid if I call CalBar they're going to say, "oh, I'm sorry, our website was incorrect, you actually failed." Cause they're like that.

However, it's starting to look like it was more than just a letter and that I am going to really need the information included with the packet. Like say, cards to get notarized for the swearing in? Are those in there? Information on swearing in ceremonies, all of which I've missed by now? Like, who can do it and where (a DC notary public, perhaps)? Information on how to get sworn in for specific courts?

I was reading about the swearing in over at Eve's (congrats to her!) and posed some of these questions in her comments section. LP replied with some useful information, but there's still no firm confirmation on any of it.

I've scoured the website and still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, so I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and call CalBar. God.

All of this concerns me because I'd really like to file my DC waiver application before the end of the year - because I can get higher paying temp gigs if I'm "DC pending" and a particular job that pays quadruple what I'm making now starts in January. However, DC's application is even MORE rigorous than California's (who knew that was possible??) and I can't finish it until I'm a oath-taking, dues-paying member of the CA bar.

If anyone can has any insight on this problem, please share.

8 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, December 08, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Yes, they should have mailed you your card where the swearing-in person signs and says "yes you were sworn" and puts a stamp on it. I think you are going to have to break down and call them!

 
At 5:48 PM, December 08, 2005, Anonymous eve said...

Hey girlie!

Who can admin the oath: notary public - doesn't say anything about having to be a CA notary.

Info about the ceremonies and such: here

That being said, I think you do need the official admissions packet with the oath card/registration card inside of it. A call would probably be best. But, never fear! Some of my mail is still being forwarded from my old address, and it's often VERY late. And that's still in the same state! I'm sure your letter's just en route. You passed! :)

 
At 7:04 PM, December 08, 2005, Anonymous R said...

You can get sworn in by a notary in DC. I did. And I called the CA bar people just to make sure beforehand and they were super nice and did not tell me that I had actually failed or anything (which I was sort of scared might happen). But you do need the registration card in the pass-letter packet to do it, so you will have to call someone. FYI, I called SF Admissions this time instead of LA who I dealt with over the summer, and the lady was MUCH nicer. Also, there is no do not forward message on my envelope, but I used my parents' address for everything when I registered so I wouldn't have to deal with addresss changes (even though I was dreading my mom having to read a fail letter to me) so I don't know how long that taks for them to process.

 
At 7:36 PM, December 08, 2005, Blogger maisnon said...

Heather - I agree with the above advice, call the SF office. Your state bar registration card is in there, and you need it to get sworn in.

 
At 1:11 AM, December 09, 2005, Blogger Californienne said...

Call 'em up, baby. I know the CalBar hasn't been the kindliest of folk in the past, but they got what you neeeeeeed.

 
At 9:37 AM, December 09, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

eve - see my confusion on that page, though? it says "following are the officials in California who can administer your oath" and then it says "notary public." however, it turns out that's just bad writing.

thanks everyone for your help, and you won't believe it, but i just got the packet today!

 
At 2:04 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Kelly said...

Heather, parallel lives. I just got my Massachusetts info packet yesterday! Hooray! A notary I work with is going to swear me in.

 
At 2:06 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Kelly said...

Heather, we are living the parallel lives! I just got my Massachusetts Bar info yesterday too. Hooray! A notary I work with is going to swear me in.

Now I just have to wait for Massachusetts to tell me whether or not I got a 133.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares