Thursday, December 29, 2005

I have my feet on the ground, and I don't go to sleep to dream.

"My bet's on Heather, she'd kick some ass."

I don't know what sparked my friend's conversation, but I overheard this last bit. From the other end of the table I perked up and said, "What? What are you guys talking about?" My friend D, the one who tried to ask me out a few times to a continuing negative response said, "We were saying if anyone got into a fight at this table, who could put on a show." I laughed. "Me? You think I'm a fighter, eh?" "Hell yeah, we know you would," from the other end of the table. I've never been in a fight in my life.

At Christmas dinner, "Isn't she cute? Look at this one. She always wanted the frilly dresses!" Me: "Hey, I grew out of that." Family, "Ha ha ha...you're so funny, Heather. You always make us laugh."

I'm the family comedian, the intellectual jester who sleeps on soft mattresses. I come from generations of enlisted military men and women, and those who didn't enlist became strong women on their own (most of my family members are women), and I've become the Princess. The girl who needs sunshine and daisies and a prepared meal with just enough seasoning.

I'm not quite sure if my friends think I'm a tough woman because I come from my family, and my family makes strong women....so even if I'm the Princess, I'm still tougher than the average woman you see strolling down the street. Or. Maybe I seem tough because I know I'm the Princess of my family, and I'm trying to over-compensate.

Hmm, right? Maybe I'll just make jokes until the feeling passes...

2 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

I love your personality. You're so chill and not prissy in any sense of the word. You're like, a girl's girl and a guy's girl. You are the BERRIES!

I'm the family comedienne, too. I kinda like it. Being able to make people laugh is rare. And difficult!

 
At 9:40 PM, December 31, 2005, Blogger kmsqrd said...

Someone once said they'd never mug me because I look like I'd beat the tar out of them. At the time I ws five feet even and barely broke one thirty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares