Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I see your status quo, and raise you a feminist.

Don't you hate it when you've got an idea or multiple ideas in your head all day that you want to blog about when you get home - then you completely forget them all? Yeah. It was a really slow day at work so I surfed the internet for nine straight hours. That takes stamina the pharmaceutical companies would envy. I really considered blogging at work but couldn't bring myself to cross the line. Tomorrow I'm going to have to reconsider my position on that playing field, because I left very little of the internets unread, so I'm going to have to just start contributing my own words or I'm going to go crazy.

On a more interesting note, my mom sent me a link to a story today about stay at home dads. The guy who writes it talks about how they're often seen as anomalies and that he's even asked by strangers if those are actually his kids he's walking around with in the middle of the day.

My mom said it was funny and reminded her of how my dad became a stay at home when my sister and I were babies and they were both in the military. Here's the story in her own words [with a couple of my own notes for clarification]:

You know he was one of the first Stay at Home Dads. Just the other day I was telling the story about how he and I were both in the service and assigned to mobile units (ready to go anywhere in the world at a moments notice - bags always in the car). We knew one of us had to get out because we were in Texas and had no one to care for you and Erin if we both got called [because my grandparents lived in California]. After a lot of deliberating, going over the pros and cons we went to personnel and and said we wanted to apply for a hardship discharge. This was not an unusual thing to do except when the clerk looked at me and said "so you want to get out?" and I said "no, (pointing to your dad) he wants to apply for a discharge." Talk about a blank stare. The clerk proceeded to tell us how they always let mothers out for this but have never had a man ask to do it. Well, we just told him to look at the regulation and notice how it says a PARENT can apply for this kind of discharge,
it didn't say MOTHER. Anyway to make this long story short... The discharge that is normally approved at the Base Commander level within 5 working days, went all the way to the Pentagon and took 30 days! Your dad was the first father (at least in the Air Force) to do this. You have to remember it was 1981.


We're a family of rebel rousers, we are.

5 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, December 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the phrase is actually "rabble rouser."

 
At 7:20 PM, December 07, 2005, Blogger Heather said...

Actually, my anonymous friend, "rabble rouser," a commonly known phrase, means "an orator who stirs up the passions and prejudices of the masses," which is not really the point of the story here. A "rebel," on the other hand, is someone who "resists authority, control, or tradition"; someone rousing them would be encouraging others not to fall into society norms just because people tell them to.

So while you have to make two stops in the dictionary for my turn of phrase instead of just one, "rebel rouser" is, in fact, exactly what I meant.

But, hey, thanks for stopping by!

 
At 9:58 PM, December 07, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

I make "blogging mental notes" all the time. Then I'll come home and either (a) have forgotten the contnent or (b) have decided that it's not worth blogging. And such is life.

 
At 10:06 PM, December 07, 2005, Blogger stag said...

Yeah, anonymous, get it straight next time.

 
At 2:16 AM, December 08, 2005, Blogger Saucy Lil' Tart said...

Man. I wanted to say something, but Roonie took the words right outta my mouth. Bitch ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares