Friday, December 30, 2005

A Lawyer's Cautionary Tale, Continued.

Earlier this morning a guy came over to my desk and said, "Hey Heather, sorry, but can I get under your desk to check the phone jack real quick." "Oh, uh, sure." He checked the jack and left.

An hour later, he came by with reams of new office supplies and covered the median table between me and my cube-mate with them. I didn't think anything of it.

A few minutes ago, a tech came by and asked if I could scoot over so he could put this new phone in. At first I just watched him, until I realized all the numbers on the phone were different, and then I asked what exactly he was doing, because I sort of need access to those lines. That was when the first guy (phone jack/office supply guy) walked up and both of them kind of looked at me like, "What do you mean, 'what are we doing?'" Right then, another lady from down the hall walked up and said hesitantly, "This is Brandon, they hired him last week to fill your position....oh my god, no one told you?"

Um, no. No one told me. But they did make sure, last week, that I knew we had this Monday off, so I sort of expected that to mean I'd be around next week. So, now I'm sitting in Brandon's old office, trying to get ahold of my boss and my staffing agency. The woman who told me about Brandon is the head of the division where he came from, and she keeps telling me how embarrassed she is for the company, to have not told me what's going on (like, even if I'm a temp, it's nice to have notice more than 3 hours before I'm going to be unemployed again, when they know I've been cut), and she said she would talk to my staffing agency about having me in next week to help her out. That way I could have a full week to find another position, which is quite nice of her.

So, here I am again. Blowing in the wind. Eating Ramen. A couple hundred dollars from homeless. It's fucking awesome.

10 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger maisnon said...

Dude, that totally blows!! I'm so sorry :(

 
At 12:45 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger G. said...

Ugh. I'm sorry. That is inexcusable. At least they are probably going to hell, so there's that.

 
At 1:51 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger shell said...

Geesh! That totally sucks.
I've heard how badly companies treat temps, but this just plain sucks.

 
At 1:52 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger shell said...

Geesh! That totally sucks.
I've heard how badly companies treat temps, but this just plain sucks.

Don't they have some sort of notification procedure?

 
At 1:59 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger Snow Crow said...

Wow - I'm really sorry.

 
At 2:59 PM, December 30, 2005, Anonymous Fried Danika said...

totally sucks. sorry. bastards! soon both you and i are going to be those 9-months-post-graduation-unemployed statistics. it's totally time for us both to focus on the fulltime job search.

the temp agency is totally to blame here. they really could give 2 &$^%(# about the people they farm out.

 
At 6:58 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger claris said...

Dude. If it's any comfort - I've been that. Like, four times. as someone who's temp-ed on both sides of the country, East Coast is bad, LA's even worse.

I walked in one morning to an admin job at UCLA & they were like, "What are you doing here? You can't be here!"

The only funny thing being that I'd walked in to quit anyway, so I just took their 8 hours pay for the day & went home.

Also, someone can explain to you why you're being replaced - was Brandon a full time hire, or did someone's cousin feel intimidated by you? I once got laid off for wearing jeans on a Friday after the head of the office told me I could. And I think you need to talk to the staffing agency person's supervisor. b/c that whole thing is bullsh*t.

 
At 8:52 PM, December 30, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

Oh my, not again. What the eff. I don't even know what to say, because this is complete and utter insanity. I would have a serious row with your agency. And make them pay you for the IIED. Because trust me, baby, ain't no suit gonna fly in NIED on this one.

 
At 1:58 PM, December 31, 2005, Blogger Igots said...

Did they just forget? Did your temp agency boss know already?

 
At 7:48 PM, December 31, 2005, Blogger Kelly said...

Oh Heather that sucks! I can relate on a lesser level. I just got told that I'm out of my place on Friday. This temping thing is the worst thing ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares