Tuesday, December 20, 2005

War Against Humbuggery *

First, I'd just like to note that, until last Friday, I had no idea how often people googled "battling dinosaurs."

Second, I'm all for freedom of religion. Especially being agnostic, because there aren't an overwhelming number of places in the world you can get away with that without being burned at the stake. On the other hand, freedom of religion doesn't give you the "freedom" to force yours down my throat.

I've heard about this guy before, but yesterday was the first time I ever encountered him. I was on the blue line going west from L'Enfant. The train stopped at Metro Center and this particular man boarded with a book in his hand. A Bible, to be exact. The train doors shut, trapping us inside. Bible man clears his throat, says, "Hello people, excuse me..." and begins singing an effing hymnal at the top of his lungs.

It's bad enough that I have listen to terrible, tuneless Christmas carols in every store I go into, but at least there I understand that I can leave any time I want. They are private establishments and it's my choice whether or not I want to patronize them. But when I'm on public transportation? And let's get to the important part here: when it's seven-thirty in the morning??? Ugh, honestly. Go to church all you want, just keep me out of it.

* If you haven't been watching The Colbert Report, you're seriously missing out.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, December 20, 2005, Blogger Roonie said...

Amen, sistah. Let's keep our religion to ourselves. Religion is a personal choice. Does he think you're going to pick up the Bible right then and there and praise Jesus because of his sermon? Tsk. I don't know about people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares