Monday, January 09, 2006

Enlightening Conversations

Last Thursday was a great day. One of those for the history books. Or, like, my diary. I had interviews with three different temp agencies, which, let me tell you, is really good for the soul. It's like an ego-lift. A real...kick in the pants.

Anyway. Here's a summary, by means of conversation-snippets.

Scene 1 - On the metro platform, waiting for the red line, I'm leaning against the low wall and a well-dressed young woman you might double-take for Jackie O, head-scarf and all, sees me and walks over:

Jackie O, handing me a business card: Have you ever tried Mary Kay?
Me: (inwardly groaning) Um, no. I mean, no thanks, I'm not interested.
J.O.: Are you sure, I can make some great recommendations.
Me: (let's get straight to the point) Ha, uh, I don't have any money.
J.O.: (looking down at my suit, power heels, and brand new winter jacket) Oh. Do you have a job?
Me: (cough) No.
J.O.: Why don't you work with Mary Kay? Go to the website, it's a great business.
Me: No, thanks, I'm really not interested.
-The train comes, she politely goes in a different door, though it's the same car. We stop at Metro Center and Jackie O walks over to me again with another business card.
J.O.: I talked to this woman yesterday and she was very nice. Maybe she could help you out?
-It was the business card of a recruiter from a temp agency.

Scene 2 - Since I was downtown, I took the opportunity in between interviews to cancel my gym membership at Gold's, since they force you to do it in person.

Me: I need to cancel my membership.
Tranny named John: Oh, is there something wrong?
Me: No, I just never come.
T.J.: Well, what if I could offer you a few months on us?
Me: Thanks, but really, I just never make it in.
T.J.: Free trainer?
Me: No, thanks.
T.J.: What if I made you my special customer and made sure every time you walked in I said, "Girl, you're SO SKINNY today! Woman you need to eat something!"

Scene 3 - I made it to my last interview and ran into a bit of a...confusion.

Recruiter: (handing me the recquisite sheaf of papers to fill out) Okay, and you won't need to fill out the tax forms since you won't be on a temp project...
Me: (um, did I hear that right?) ...Okay.
-I filled out the papers and she called me into her office for the interview part.
Recruiter: Alright, so as you know, this job is for a pro-gun firm. You'll be doing work on behalf of the NRA, hunting groups, et cetera.
Me: (mouth agape) Um, what?

5 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Holy Crap! I work out at the same Gold's gym. I didn't know that it was a tranny. I thought it was a freaky chick bodybuilder on steroids.

I worked out there today with Johnny Vegas, but unlike the last time I didn't lift more than him, so I don't feel freakishly strong.

 
At 11:28 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger CM said...

So... did you figure out what happened with the job? Sounds like the beginning of a movie. "Don't worry, you won't be in any danger..." and then an hour later, you're dangling off the edge of a cliff.

 
At 1:18 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger G. said...

Yeah I definitely want to hear the end of this one.

 
At 1:42 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Ninja - My guess is that he (she?) was a tranny, because he was obviously male (including deep voice) but was wearking make-up and big hoop earrings.

CM and GG - Luckily, it ended okay. At first she thought she got my papers mixed up with someone elses, but it turns out that I had replied to some ad in the WaPo that was specifically for this pro-gun job, whereas I thought it was just to register generally with the temp agency. Fortunately, she was very nice and said it was no problem, they could just enter me in their system, and as it turns out, she's already gotten me an interview for later this week.

 
At 7:21 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Saucy Lil' Tart said...

Well, TJ at least sounded nice...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares