Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Not one of my proudest moments...

What a day, and it's barely three o'clock. I did nothing, as usual, for the first few hours. Then I got roped into doing the hanging project again, which involves me, a step-ladder, and 200 pages of architectual design that cover a wall. While I was doing this in one guy's office he was making chit-chat with me. He found out a few weeks ago that I'm actually a lawyer and has sent a couple emails out on my behalf, which is nice. Of course, most of these people he contacted work for big firms and replied with, "This is the girl who didn't rank at the top of her class right? Sorry, we're kind of picky around here." I'm not even joking. Or paraphrasing.

The guy and I talked a bit about how ludicrous that is, and how the difference between where I graduated and the top ten percent is a GPA spread of less than 0.20. Nevertheless, I'm banished to the farthest reaches of temp hell, while the guy who didn't have my Civil Procedure professor (who stated the first day of class that he's proud to give every one of his students their lowest grade in law school, which he did for me, a lowly B-) gets to make $125K a year. Sigh. He spoke to a few more people while I was decorating his office wall and they all turned out to be fairly embarassing conversations for me, especially since the third party didn't realize I was in the room.

A few minutes ago my boss called and said that instead of my last day being tomorrow, it will actually be today. So, that's awesome. One of the ladies down the hall tried to create some more work for me, but that just didn't work out, but it was nice of her to try. She's a little angry because my old cube-mate came into the office today with strep throat, and, no kidding to that.

And, to top off my ineptitude for the day, I just responded to an email from another temp agency to confirm an interview later this week and for no other reason than I'm a moron, I typed "Mrs." instead of "Ms." for her title. This was to the same woman who, last week, I emailed saying I'd like an interview and attached are my resume and references. Except I forgot to attach my resume and references, so I had to send her another email saying "oops!" I'm all about the good first impression.

I've been working all day on my resolutions, but they're hard as fuck. Once you see what I've done, you'll see why. I'll try to post them by this evening.

Wish me less ineptitude for the rest of the day. More eptitude? Yes.

2 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, January 04, 2006, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Hang in there! You're not the only who walked down the aisle at graduation and thought "holyfuckingshit, I have 100k in student loans and no real job offer."

You'll laugh about it when they are paying you lawyerbucks to do secretarial work and billing clients obscene amounts for it.

 
At 4:19 AM, January 06, 2006, Blogger Saucy Lil' Tart said...

I did that when I was applying to summer associateships A LOT. There was definitely no oops room. I think maybe it was the fact that I spelled "bona fide" like "bonified"? Oh, how many offices I must've gotten laughed out of. And I claim to be educated! I even went on an interview to this firm in SF, and they sent me TWO rejection letters. I gotcha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares