Monday, February 13, 2006

Tips for Two-Timers

Chai threw down the question yesterday: Why did we name our blogs what we did? I'm sure we were supposed to answer in her comments, but I'm bringing the party here for a minute.

Two-Timing the Cosmos is a chapter title in the book About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution, by Paul Davies.

My Blog's Namesake

The chapter begins with a discussion of the unknowability of the nature of time. After Einstein discovered relativity, we knew that the passage of time in one place could be different than the passage of time in another - so what if the passage of time now is different than the passage of time in the past? What if, as the universe expands and matter is dispersed, the "cosmic clock" is changing as well? Ultimately, this meant that calculations of the age of the universe could be entirely, utterly wrong. In fact, time is the way we measure the passage of everything, so how can we ever know what time really means if it's always changing? How can we know if this moment...is actually much longer than this moment...?

You're probably wondering what my point is. Well, I admit I probably chose the title because it sounded cool (and dirty!) and it was a nod to my geeky astrophysics days. Also, even though I got back into blogging through the zillion blawgs out there, I didn't want a law-related title. Clever as they are, it's just not my thing, and I had no intention of talking about the law forever - and seeing what I write about most of the time these days, it's probably good I didn't typecast myself.

But I still love the theory behind "two-timing the cosmos," even if we deviate a little from the scientific to the, say, pyschological. Time varies with the moment. Monday was infinitely longer than Friday. The last three years were unbearably never-ending. I'm sure most people would think the "two-timing" refers to cheating (like the guy who google hit my blog today with "getting away with two-timing" - classy; if you need to google for tips maybe you're not as slick as you think you are), but it really does refer to "multiple kinds of times" - the kinds of experiences we have by how the time was spent...(are you with me? 'How the time was spent').

It's not cosmology if it doesn't blow your mind, dude.

And, "...with your mom." I hope I don't have to explain that.

8 Comments:

At 2:00 AM, February 14, 2006, Anonymous eve said...

Isn't that a great book? I read it several years ago. Philosophy + Science = FUN!! :)

 
At 3:09 AM, February 14, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

Um, whoa guys. Back up here. I never read such a book. I must be the obvious moron.

 
At 8:45 AM, February 14, 2006, Blogger Chai said...

um, im with roonie here. no idea what you are talking about. dude, link this post in the comments. the idea behind your title is amazing.


you so smaaart. ill have to read this book now. can i borrow it after the 21st?

 
At 9:53 AM, February 14, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

chai - i just figured people would click on my name to get my profile and blog. and of course you can borrow it!

and i think you guys are confusing "geeky" with "smart," ha. if i were smart, i'd be working for NASA or something, not flailing around from temp job to temp job - not even as an attorney!

 
At 10:23 AM, February 14, 2006, Anonymous jake said...

Yeah, you lost me at "unknowability."

And your sitemeter will tell you the gender of the people that come to your blog? That's AMAZING! Mine just gives me their location and where they came from...but you knew it was a guy that googled "getting away with two-timing." Awesome.

 
At 10:44 AM, February 14, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

oh jake, it seems like you're being sarcastic. admit it, even you knew it was a guy.

"unknowability" is one of the best words in science.

 
At 11:36 AM, February 14, 2006, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

heather, so the diffence between smart and geeky is NASA vs Star Trek?

I won't say which one I am [hides Klingon dictionary]

 
At 10:37 AM, February 18, 2006, Anonymous ellen said...

jake- lol, yes we ladies like to paint guys as the naughty ones, but hey we ladies can be naughty too.

I think she's saying smart is being able to make money from your geekiness...so Billy Gates is not a geek?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares