Saturday, February 18, 2006

Who's having the Best Week Ever?

I think it might be me. At least, I'm having a damn fine one. I'm a little worried that I'm going to step in front of a bus, things are going so well at the moment.

A little clarification on my Big Ass Raise - I'm still a temp. The temp agency is my "employer," so I actually have exact same position with the same firm; I was just poached by another agency willing to pay me the big bucks. And frankly, that's great. I work with really nice people who care whether or not I'm being treated fairly, I get flex-time, the work is both easy and varied, so I don't get too bored but it's never very stressful. And it's an ongoing project - it'll end when I want to leave. As far as temp jobs go, it doesn't get any better, and starting Monday I'll get paid 66% more to do the exact same job I was doing yesterday. That's what I call a slam dunk.

What else? Last Sunday I was contacted for the first time about possibly licensing one of my photos for a magazine. He inquired into my library and I don't think I had what he was looking for (I haven't heard back), but the fact that someone noticed and wanted to see samples is huge, at least to me.

What else?? As Chai pointed out the other day, I'm in the 'vetting' process of becoming an arts contributor for the DCist. This all happened really fast, and it's not for sure yet, even though they did publish my first submission. I still have one more to write, so let's hope I don't blow it. (Strangely, it's going to be about an artist who explores the concept of time in photography - um, could that topic be any more up my alley?) The lesson here is - pay attention to what you're blogging about, because you never know who might be reading.

Oh, and to round it out, I just e-filed my taxes and it looks like I'm going to be getting a fat refund.

Now, I just have to be doubly careful about the buses...

7 Comments:

At 2:02 AM, February 19, 2006, Blogger Igots said...

But you'll be paying more taxes next year because of your raise.

 
At 3:34 AM, February 19, 2006, Blogger G. said...

Congrats!!

 
At 12:02 PM, February 19, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Igots: Dude, buzzkill!

 
At 5:28 PM, February 19, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

I am infinitely happy for you. And wondering when my ship is going to come in. And knowing that no one with any substantial pull is reading the crap on my blog.

 
At 7:01 PM, February 19, 2006, Blogger Chai said...

congrats a second time. (don't know where my first post is?) :)

 
At 9:43 PM, February 19, 2006, Anonymous kirk diogu said...

so, what kind of work do you do? is it legal work, or more admin / temp work? are you still looking for a fulltime gig?

 
At 11:26 AM, February 20, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

it's paralegal work. i am looking for a full-time gig, technically, but i've been so busy lately it's fallen to the wayside a little bit. and i have to say, i don't hate the thought of doing this for awhile longer and paying off my credit cards, before i end up in some low-paying full-time job...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares