Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Take On Me

I'm dying to follow the grand tradition here at TTtC and write up a review for "Disaster Zone: Volcano in New York," but I just don't think I have time tonight. It wasn't any "10.5," but that's a tough standard for your made-for-tv's.

I've had another Pretty Darn Good Week, so I'm on a bit of a streak here. I'm still keeping an eye out for errant buses, lest I step in the path of one.

Awhile back I joined a yahoo group for local photographers and not only did I get some flattering reviews of my work, but the lady who started it contacted me yesterday about helping her market her work. She's a more established photographer than I am, but she needs someone to help her for a few hours every week. She'll pay me, of course, but she also totally expects me to learn this stuff for my own benefit and take advantage of opportunites I come across.

Then, last night I attended my "observation" night at a legal clinic in town. The formal training happens off-site, so they like to make you sit through a whole night before you commit to training, so you can see how it works. It was more or less what I expected, but it was still fascinating. I finally had the "oh right, THAT'S why I got a law degree" moment. I've been a volunteer since I was old enough to leave the house on my own, so this felt like I was getting back to the whole point. We helped this one guy address his problem (we? okay, I didn't do shit, but I watched and nodded along) and as he was leaving he kept saying emphatically, "God Bless you folks, really, God Bless you and what you do here." Between that and the panda video I was forwarded earlier that day, I think my cold, bitter heart actually swelled up a little bit. I thought it was indigestion.

And the couches came today! Sort of. My roommate got a huge bonus last month for all the traveling he's been doing, so he decided to invest in a pair of sexy new leather sofas. He ordered them online and they didn't give him a delivery date, so he got a call this afternoon - he's in Florida - from the truck driver who said he was outside the house. Oops. He rescheduled, so we should have them this weekend. Of course, there's only one thing to do to celebrate such fantastic new decor - have a party! We've been meaning to throw a follow-up to our successful bash last fall, but the winter and my oft-unemployment were hampering us a bit. So, in a few weeks we're bringing back the funk and firing up the grill.

And on that note, I'll probably be away from the internets for a few days, entertaining my fleshy-friends. (No, not fat! REAL.) If you can't go that long without stalking me, I'll be at the group photography exhibit opening at Plan B on Saturday. I'll be the girl with the two real live friends.

2 Comments:

At 12:37 AM, March 03, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

Good deal. Enjoy yourself and hurry back.

 
At 10:17 AM, March 04, 2006, Blogger elliott said...

what photo group is that? Have you ever been to the photo salon meetings over in Georgetown (every 2nd tuesday of the month?)

good to hear about the legal clinic. That is why I went to UDC despite all the dismissive attitude I got from the law firm I was working at before I went!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares