Sunday, March 12, 2006

Time to execute

It occured to me earlier today that exactly one year ago I was here:

Greece3.jpg

Greece2.jpg

Greece4.jpg

Greece5.jpg

Greece6.jpg

Greece7.jpg

Sigh.

I've been thinking about traveling a lot lately. When my Boston friends visited last weekend, I spent some time travel-talking with one of them. She's a globetrotter and the perfect person to go to if you're deciding to make a trip. She'll inspire you so much you'll practically interrupt her to grab your toothbrush and run to the nearest tarmac.

So I've made a tentative plan. I have always wanted to take some significant time off and visit someplace that needs that kind of attention. Since I'm making enough money at the moment to really pay down my credit card debt, I'm going to focus on that for the next six months. My hope is to get rid of it all, though that might be somewhat unrealistic given my rent and my loan payments. At the same time, I'm going to put what I can in savings. Then, around September, I'm going to quit temping and take a month off -- and travel to India. I'll probably go by myself, though I'll consider a partner if it's the right person.

Then, when I come back from my fantastically adventerous and soul-searching trip, I'll finally make the transition to finding a "real" job. I know I should do that sooner, but the reality is that I'm going to take a huge pay cut when I finally jump the temp ship - as much as 50%, so the thought of paying off my debts before that happens is too much to pass up. And did you hear that part about India??

That's the plan. And it also might involved some hard core camera purchases, because, well, you know me.

4 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

I've been making the same sort of plans, too. I'm hoping to do the same sort of thing this summer, depending on how my finances are going. I know you've already been to South America, but that's where I'd like to go. My cousin and I were planning on Australia/New Zealand, but I think I need a little more of a culture shock. Excuse me, I think I want a little more of a culture shock. But hey, if you're willing to throw in Sri Lanka on your trip, I think I would make a great traveling partner. And I'm dead serious.

 
At 8:27 AM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

I agree with you on Australia...I'd love to go there someday, but I want to do something that's...I don't know, harder I guess, especially while I'm still young. Also, that trip would cost you an absolute fortune. We're both better off going somewhere where the dollar is strong right now, given our financial situations. If you decide to go to South America, we should definitely talk; I can give you some great tips on where to go and how to get there.

As for my trip, I haven't planned it aside from knowing I want to go, so I'll let you know when I'm more clear on the situation. I should go buy some travel books...

 
At 12:54 PM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Chai said...

omg. can we discuss this in a group aim chat room. im getting way too excited cause i think im going to india around that time too...

 
At 12:16 AM, March 14, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

LET'S ALL GO TOGETHER! How freakin' fabulous would that be? I will start saving my pennies today if I can look forward to India (and can we go to Sri Lanka, too? I really really wanna)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares