Saturday, March 18, 2006

We do St. Patrick's Day right

I meant to post this yesterday, but I was too busy playing hookie in the morning and then ignoring my boss' emails at the office all afternoon. It's hard work.

My family's favorite holiday has always been St. Patrick's Day. We're very Irish, for one, corned beef and cabbage is delish, for two, but mostly we enjoy it because it's the one holiday where the family can get together and 'celebrate' without any of that superficial/commercialized pressure to get gifts or have the right decorations or force polite chatter with the half of the family you only ever see at those functions. St. Patrick's Day is usually me, my mom, my sister, my grandparents, and maybe an aunt and uncle. We boil up some meat, spike the coffee, and just have a great dinner together.

Since I'm never able to make it home for the holiday anymore, my mom - who still sends me care packages at least once a month - sends me the paraphernalia one needs to celebrate properly. And I don't mean ugly beads and cover for kegs and eggs at Lulu's.

Care Package

That loaf in the front is my great grandmother's Irish soda bread, which happens to be the only thing I can bake from scratch. And, wait, what's that in the back there?

Yup, the real stuff.

Yeah it is. How can you not love a mother who sends you whiskey in the mail?

2 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

What a cute tradition. And an awesome mama.

 
At 1:09 AM, March 20, 2006, Anonymous Sylvie said...

can i trade my crazy mom for yours?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares