Thursday, April 06, 2006

No one wants to believe in 'America, She's Got A Great Personality'

I have a decision to make. One of those decisions you put off making because you suddenly realize 1) you're really, truly an adult now - in fact, rapidly approaching old, 2) your life, for better or worse, is totally not where you thought it would be when you were making those grand plans and studying for AP tests at age 18, and 3) you're going to have to justify every decision you've made in the last five years to a crowd of virtual strangers.

My five-year college reunion is this May, and I have to decide if I want to go.

I've been mulling it over the past few months, when I first got the notice. The truth is, I really did enjoy college (though not in the "gosh, I wish I was still a senior" kind of way) and am still close with many of the friends I made there. Though, that's kind of the thing, I'm still close with them. We email, call, and visit...so why make a plane trip to Ohio?

Since the date is nearing, I've started to get emails from some groups that I was in. By far the funniest was the email I got last week from the sorority president from my class. Yes, I was in a sorority, and no, I'm not going to justify it to you people except to say this: I joined as a junior when my head was filled with rocks and I'd just completed a physics course that required I spend an average of 10 hours/day, 6 days/week in the lab, and I was so pale you could see through me. I wanted to meet some people and shed my well-built-up innocent science girl vibe, and that's what I did. When I finally saw where I was in the harsh, sober light of day after a full-year of my grades plummeting and my liver expanding, I wised-up, got tight with a group of girls who felt the same way about ridiculous cat-fighting as I did, wherein some of us took the bold step to deactivate, or, since the rest of us were paid-up second semester seniors, bowed-out mentally by refusing to attend any sisterly gathering that didn't involve getting hammered. Okay, so I totally justified it to you, but it was a thousand times more complicated than that, so that's all I'm getting into.

I think it also says something that the only way Miss Pres could find me was by sending me a note through the anonymous alumni system that the undergrads use to get career advice. (No, kid, it's not true that "you can do anything with a JD," save yourself now and just get a job at the pet store.) She then included me in a group email to our class, saying how we should get together at the reunion, and in the meantime, why don't we all share what we've been up to? A few girls have replied, and they've been nothing short of hysterical. One girl, who just got married, emailed her life update and then ended with "so how are the rest of you doing, especially those of you who've gotten married recently!" Oh please. One of my honest-to-goodness friends on the list (the one who just visited me from Boston last month), emailed me on the side to say, "She only wants to hear about the married people? Our lives aren't interesting enough to read about if we're not ready to pop out the babies? Gag me."

I do have a morbid curiosity about it all, I have to admit. A little "which cheerleader got fat" syndrome. I've talked about it with my Boston friend, and I think we've decided to go. Most of our friends were in different graduating classes, but still live in the area, so we might try to form our own reunion within a reunion. And if the whole thing ends up sucking, we can get a booth at the Backstretch and drink and shit talk to our heart's content.

On the other hand, I haven't bought my plane ticket yet, so any advice is appreciated.

9 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, April 06, 2006, Blogger TSC Girl said...

Let other ppl go and get the lowdown from them. It's not worth the $ for a plane ticket just for the curiosity. You could spend that money on other stuff you really want, or use it to get your real friends together and just see them and not the rest of the group. Just my $0.02

 
At 5:35 PM, April 06, 2006, Anonymous kirk diogu said...

save the money. make a credit card / loan payment with the money you would have spent. gossip isn't worth the caysh.

 
At 5:39 PM, April 06, 2006, Blogger Alexandra said...

just do it.

 
At 5:49 PM, April 06, 2006, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

I didn't go to my HS or college reunions because I didn't really care about those people. I still have some friends from HS that I am friends with (and I know what they are up to) but I really couldn't care less about the other people in HS that I didn't bother to keep in touch with.

I don't hate anyone from my HS or college, I'm just indifferent towards them.

 
At 5:50 PM, April 06, 2006, Blogger KT said...

For what it's worth, I went to my 10 year high school reunion for the exact same reasons. The only fun I had was at a small dinner beforehand with actual friends. Once I got to the reunion and saw everyone, I realized that I actually didn't CARE what had become of everyone else who I didn't keep in touch with.

Everyone was boring, no one was interesting, and I could not wait to go home.

But I also know that if you don't go, you will probably wonder if you missed anything. It's a sad part of being human.

 
At 10:28 PM, April 06, 2006, Blogger Heather said...

Well, I should clarify that gossip is not the main reason I'd like to go. That's just sort of a fun bonus. Some of the people I'm still close with, though we do visit, we don't get to see each other that often, maybe once a year at most - much less all of us together at the same time. And hey, it's always nostalgic to hang around the old 'hood. All two and a half blocks of it.

My worry, really, is the sheer pain that's going to come with three days of small talk with people I honestly don't remember. Listen, I'd forget my own friends' names over the summer if we didn't keep in contact somehow - I'm not even joking. After five years? Forget it. People better be wearing nametags 24/7 or I'm going to doing a whole lot of strained grinning with "oh yeah! so, uh...how've ya been?!"

 
At 6:39 PM, April 07, 2006, Blogger CM said...

I loved my 5-year reunion. At first I thought, why bother, I'm still in touch with my close friends from college and can easily get in touch with other friends. But when I actually went, it was great to catch up with so many people that I used to talk to in school, but hadn't seen or really thought about in years. It was fun to walk down the street and see tons of people I knew. And it was really interesting talking to people and learning that many of us were in the same finding-ourselves phase.

 
At 1:08 PM, April 08, 2006, Blogger Roonie said...

It's totally worth it. It'll be one of the more amusing weekends you've had in awhile. What could be better than seeing old friends (actually seeing them) and old enemies, too? I wish my college had one, but I guess I'll just wait for my high school 10-year next year.

I was in a sorority, too. And I was the President. And I'm not justifying anything!

 
At 4:55 PM, April 12, 2006, Anonymous sharonj33 said...

your one year law school reunion is coming up soon, too. can you believe you'll have been out one year? are you going to that one?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares